early disconnection from isp

macrobbo 18:14 08 Aug 2004

I run windows me.
I keep getting disconnected from modem after 10 mins which is set for 2hours idle time before disconnection. When I checked the properties box it had somehow been changed to 10 mins-not by me I hasten to add. I kept connecting by the freeserve box that asks you if you want to be reconnected yes/no. But I hear there is a scam that if you reconnect by the yes/no box you are reconnected to a premium rate number.
How does one know if you are caught up in this, before getting your next phone bill?
As soon as I heard of this scam I now reconnect the initial way.
The only way I don't get cut off 1st 10mins is to keep active and not sit reading what I want to read.
I am not very good on the technical side of things quite a novice really. Perhaps there are settings I don't know about. I really hope someone can help please

stalion 18:17 08 Aug 2004

run a check to see if you have any nasties on your system click here

JoeC 18:29 08 Aug 2004

properties are not set to " disconnect if idle for XXX minutes " - just in case !

Internet explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings ( for your ISP ) then Advanced.

macrobbo 20:09 08 Aug 2004

Many thanks to Stalion and JoeC, I took advice from you both. Don't know what I would do without you guys. Still learning from this excellent helproom. Thanks again much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?