Eargasm-Finally got the XP disk to work

TommyRed 19:08 04 Jun 2004

After a number of falures, due to not having XP CD, went back and tried your original solution. This time it worked fine, though without 'slipstreaming' SP1, I have this on a MS security update CD which I assume can be used when asked for. I deleted all previous attempts and started afresh, worked fine, so thanks for your patience. TR

TommyRed 19:53 04 Jun 2004

Thinking about it, my PC came with SP1 installed I'm sure it's in System>General. In that case would I need to bother with 'Slipstreaming'. TR

Djohn 20:13 04 Jun 2004

Slipstreaming can be used for SP1 or updates or both even. If you have SP1 already then you will not need to add it to a disk, this also applies if you have the latest update CD from Microsoft.

Slipstreaming is very useful though for those not on broadband as they can make a copy of their legal XP disk with all the updates installed to it for future use in case they need to do a format/install.

To check your version of XP right click on my computer/properties/general tab and it will say SP1 if it's there. j.

TommyRed 20:24 04 Jun 2004

Have just tried the boot up with the disc and it did ask for the SP1 disc, I struggled to get to this point so having to put another disc in is a small price to pay. TR

Eargasm 22:08 04 Jun 2004

Hey well done mate, Glad you are sorted.

TommyRed 22:18 04 Jun 2004

It feels good to be sorted eventually, even went to a board across the pond, that never worked either. When I posted they were all asleep and vice-versa, this is the place to get sorted. I do feel a lot more secure knowing that is done and even though I took an image (a few weeks back) the added security of knowing I can use an XP disc is priceless. TR

Eargasm 22:35 04 Jun 2004

Yes you can never have enough backup,i have my hidden partition burned on to 3 cd's ,but feel happier with the xp bootdisk as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone