E Systems Laptop

Chas49 15:18 11 Aug 2009

My cousin has been given one of these laptops and she needs it to 'surf' the net. I know that there are hot keys to switch on the wireless card but not what they are.

Can anyone help please?

woodchip 15:31 11 Aug 2009

fn key and you should have one with a antenna on it.

fn bottom left in a closed key box, all keys that work with it have the same box in F keys

Chas49 15:58 11 Aug 2009

Thanks for the reply. Found FN key but no FunctionKey with an antenna icon I'm afraid.

If the card was switched on - would it show my own connection as being available?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 11 Aug 2009
  Chas49 21:24 11 Aug 2009

Thanks for that - the laptop is a 3086.

I have since found out that my cousin had someone install Vista on this laptop - having had XP before. I would imagine that this destroyed her internet setup and that she will have to use her ISP's installation disc again to re enter the necessary details - am I correct?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 11 Aug 2009

click here
look at best answer

Chas49 22:53 11 Aug 2009

Thanks - I had seen that and I'll wait until I see her and, hopefully, she will have the installation disk for her router etc.

woodchip 23:10 11 Aug 2009

You do not need a Disc to setup a Router

Chas49 11:40 12 Aug 2009

Contacted my cousin this morning and find that they have no disk from their ISP (Virgin) - as they were able to use broadband when XP was the OS then they must have had one to start with. They have been asked to either look for the disk and any relevant info or contact Virgin directly and seek their assistance. Meanwhile I have returned the laptop to them for clearly it cannot be done from my address!

Once again I express my thanks to both Woodchip and Fruit Bat for their efforts.

woodchip 13:11 12 Aug 2009

To setup the Router, Start Internet Explorer and enter into the Address Bar the Address for the Router Mine is http:// 192.168.1.1

I have put a Space before 192 so that PCA would not change the address to a click hear link So if you try my address you need to close the space between // and 192. If it opens the setup page you need to put password in try admin in lower case letters the you need the User name and Password that is from your server ISP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 12 Aug 2009

get security from router admin pages (what router?) when connected via other pc.

when laptop wireless on, try to connct to her wireless network it will ask for security key input key and you should then be able to connect OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?