E System 3086

Chas49 19:00 19 Nov 2008

It must be my cousins day! Last Friday his desktop had a virus problem - thanks to a member of this forum the OS was restored and he is happy. Now his mother is having a problem with the above laptop. It will not boot up and a box informs him that something has happened to the Windows files. With his laptop it was a simple matter of clicking Control & F11 to restore the OS - he tried this combinartion with the laptop, he got a request the booting device (SATA etc etc) - anyone know what key combination will allow him to restore the OS to his laptop - or was the combination correct, in which case which booting device does he click on - SATA? The laptop is, I'm told, two years old - would it indeed have a hidden directory with the OS in?

woodchip 19:35 19 Nov 2008

Try Alt+F6, Have a look hear but it looks like there should be a CD to start from click here

PS you have to scroll down to Page 6.10.4 for XP

Chas49 20:12 19 Nov 2008

Thanks Woodchip:

I'm awaiting a phone call from him - as you say, it looks as if a disk is needed and they don't have one - somehow I think that the laptop wasn't new when they obtained it. I have a copy of Windows 98SE I wonder if that will install and be sufficient for his mom's purpose - whatever that may be. If so, I wonder (I don't know that is) if connecting to the web would then be a problem.

woodchip 09:22 20 Nov 2008

If you loaded 98 on the Computer, You would need to Wipe the Partitions as 98 will not load without, second you may not be able to get 98 Drivers for the Hardware mobo etc and if its sata drives it would most likely not work with 98

Chas49 09:48 20 Nov 2008

Thanks Woodchip.

It looks as though they have to get a new XP Disk then.

I will pass on your information and leave it to them to actually get a copy. I learned the hard way about buying things on someone else's behalf!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?