e-sata connection and Acronis True Image 2010

rdh660 21:56 19 Nov 2009

Hi
I have just upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64bit and all went very smoothly . I moved from Windows XP home and decided to perform a clean install so as to avoid any problems. I have been using Acronis True Image for years to make regular full backups on my external hard drive connected via the the e-sata port on the rear of my Asus P5K-E motherboard.
I downloaded the new True image version 2010 for windows 7 and tried to make a full backup to the external drive. All seemed to work fine until validation of the backup failed. This happened no matter how many times I tried. However if I back up to an internal drive the image is created and validated perfectly. Also if I connect my e-sata external drive to a sata port on the mainboard using an adapter the backups work fine. Is there something about the external e-sata ports that prevent Acronis True image 2010 being able to backup to my external drive in Windows 7 whereas 2009 worked fine in Win XP. I believe the e-sata ports on the back of my computer are plug and play whereas the external drive now connected via the mainboard ports will not be.

Thanks for your time
regards

howard64 09:29 20 Nov 2009

it could well be the 64bit not supporting that type of e-sata port. Have you run the motherboard cd after the os install? Have you downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers and the bios for the asus? be careful there are warnings on the asus site about flashing the bios on the 64bit systems. Interesting id you have that is the first part of my postcode!.

Pine Man 13:03 20 Nov 2009

I can't help with your problem but I have an external e-sata drive connected internally and it works ok with ATI 2010.

rdh660 17:34 20 Nov 2009

Sorry for the late reply but I have only just got home to read my messages. I think maybe howard64 has hit the nail on the head as there seem to be a number of updated driver releases for the e-sata on my board since I purchased it..... maybe win7 and Acronis 2010 need these to run from the rear e-sata port. I am always reluctant to flash the bios if all is working well so I might just leave the external drive connected as Pine Man suggests and run it that way. Thanks to you both for your comments. By the way howard I have no idea where RH6 is without looking it up but I feel it must be a good place to live with such a post code.... I thank you once again for your help.
Best regards
Rob

howard64 19:13 20 Nov 2009

it is Horley Surrey just next to Gatwick airport.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?