E-mails from your bank

jack 21:13 27 May 2004

They dont period.
No bank that I am aware use e-mail to contact their customers.
If you get one bin it or better still
copy it and send it to your banks security office.

mbp 21:17 27 May 2004

If you receive an email from your bank, it will be a con, as banks have stressed that they do not send emails to customers. Report it to your bank immediately.

MIke 21:21 27 May 2004

Unless it's an internet only bank like smile.co.uk . Though their e-mails give you information, such as interest rate changes, and to urge you to go to your account to check for a secure message.

I'd certainly never click on a link in an e-mail purporting to be from a bank.

Always type their url into the address bar on your browser.

Cuddles 22:10 27 May 2004

I have reported two such e-mails today, TSB and Woolwich.

end 23:39 27 May 2004

if you type their URL into your browser, arnt you then "telling them" that "you exist" and "get ready for floods more........"

Sir Radfordin 00:03 28 May 2004

You should always type in the URL for your bank that you know and not one provided in an email. That way you are sure you are getting to the right site and not confirming to a spammer that you exist.

Some of the 'scams' I have seen actually present the correct URL in the text of the email but when you view the source code you will see that you are actually linking to a different page.

Remember, your bank will NEVER ask you for your passwords in full, if at all. If you think you have given any of your security details away change them and contact your bank ASAP.

end 00:10 28 May 2004

sorry---I "read" that as "type in the URL of the spam e mail into your adress bar" .......hense my question.....

AND.. poeple arnt actually OPENING thes e e mails are they?????....even that"s "askign for trouble."...,,,

Sir Radfordin 07:38 28 May 2004

With the best will in the world it is very hard to spot some of these emails before you open them.

end 11:56 28 May 2004

with respect....do people just open their e mails without first atually looking AT the sender"s address???

I say that, because I recently had a message from an addrss that looked typically "spam"; I looked at it for a long time, then eventually realised that it was from s oemone I knew....it DID nearly end up in "trash"!!!

Admittedly, I do nto get LOADs of messages each day, but for people that DO, surely addresses are checked before opening them???????

Sir Radfordin 12:47 28 May 2004

Most of the 'hoax' emails that contain requests to verfiy your account details will look like they have come from the bank. If I knew your email address and your name I could have an email ready for you to read that as far as you could tell had been sent from you to you. Spoofing email addresses is one of the easiest things to do.

Stuartli 14:58 28 May 2004

With all due respects you can get e-mails from your bank(s), usually offering holiday cash promotions, savings deals etc plus any replies to queries you have sent via its website.

You soon get to know which are the scam e-mails (or should do fast) and delete them without opening. I've had an e-mail from Nationwide this morning - I don't have an account with it, nor Barclays etc.

Many scam e-mails use the fact that many genuine e-mails received only have the name of the sender initially listed and rely on people to open them without thinking.

I had the same experience as "end" with one e-mail a few weeks ago when I was about to delete what I thought was yet another piece of spam.

In fact it was from my daughter and she had used her brand new married name in the From line...:-)

However, the thread has provided yet another excuse to emphasise the need to disable Preview Pane in Outlook Express....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017