E-Mails via a laptop or 3G Datacard?

1936 18:43 26 Jan 2005

I want to be able to pickup my e-mails after 19.00 hours when I am out and about in my motor caravan and I understand that it is possible to do this by connecting a laptop to an appropriate mobile telephone.

However, I also understand that I can do the same thing by using a G3 Data card.

As I am a tight fisted old sod I do not want to watse money so I have a couple of questions which I would very much welcome some comments on.

1. Am I right in assuming that as long as I setup my laptop to my normal I.S.P/ E-Mail service all I need to do when I am on the road is to connect the laptop to the mobile telephone and click onto the E-Mail icon and providing that there is a mobile telephone signal I will make E-Mail contact?

2. Am I right in assuming that all one needs to do to make E-Mail contact using a laptop is by sticking a 3G Data Card into the appropriate opening.

3. Am I right in assuming that using a 3G Data card is more expensive than just connecting a mobile telephone to a laptop and if so, why should this be?

I note that a 3G Datacard can be bought for £29.00 plus £79.00 a month or £179.99 and £10.00 a month while one can pay £25.00 a month for 500 minutes off peak and get a free mobile telephone which appears to give the mobile telephone route the edge.

1936 12:00 28 Jan 2005

I will be going round the coast of Britain in a motor caravan writing another guide to camping and caravan sites with a view of the sea and I want to be able to pick up my E-Mail messages in the evening when I stop.
I was told by Carphone Warehouse that I could connect a Sony Ericsson T630 to my laptop using a data cable and the O2 "Leisure Tile All" tariff which gives me 500 minutes off peak Xnet.
I worked this out to about 15 minutes an evening or £25.00 a month or 5 pence a minute.
I know how long it takes me to open up my desktop connected to a landline, open my E-Mail and download my messages so I have two questions:
1. Will a laptop + data cable+ mobile telephone work?
2. Will it take that much longer to open up the laptop + mobile connection and download my E-Mail messages than the desktop connection to a landline?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?