E-mails disappeared from hotmail mailbox

willnewcastle 21:52 17 Mar 2010

I have been having problems with my hotmail account for a while now, first my friends started to receive spam messages that appear to come from my e-mail address, and yesterday I signed into my hotmail account to find that most of my e-mails are gone! What can I do? I'd like to get the messages back, and make my account safe again. I dont want to delete my account because its my main e-mail address that I've been using for a long time.

tullie 22:15 17 Mar 2010

Did you change your password?

willnewcastle 22:24 17 Mar 2010

No, I havent changed my passwork yet, will it solve the problem?

johnnyrocker 22:31 17 Mar 2010

first thing to do change to a safe password and should be ok, plus a malware sweep in case of keyloggers

johnny

willnewcastle 22:49 17 Mar 2010

Will I be able to get the deleted e-mails back? And how do i do that malware thing?

northumbria61 23:02 17 Mar 2010

You could read this.

click here

lotvic 23:54 17 Mar 2010

Firstly I would change your password, but make sure that your alternate email address that they send the 'password change' to is correct in your Account.
Windows Live, Hotmail Options:
""Add or change an alternate e-mail address
When you sign up for a Windows Live ID (The e-mail address and password that you use to sign in to Windows Live programs and services such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger; Microsoft services such as Xbox LIVE, MSN, and Office Live; and anywhere else that you see the Windows Live ID logo.) , you aren't required to add an alternate e-mail address (An alternate e-mail address is a secondary e-mail address registered with your Windows Live ID. If you forget your password, you can have the password reset information sent to your alternate e-mail address.) , but we recommend that you do. If you forget your password, your alternate e-mail address can be used to reset your password.
You must be able to access the e-mail address that you provide without signing in to Windows Live ID sites and services.""

Logon and click on 'Options'>at the bottom click on 'More Options' then under 'Manage your account' click on 'View and edit your personal information' This is where you can check/change the alternate email address.
**Note that it must be another email address and not your hotmail one**

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017