e-mails disappear

jim63 16:41 01 Apr 2006

I have Win XP and Tiscali e-mail but this is the second time e-mails have disappeared from my in- box. I have not deleted any by mistake.

rawprawn 17:04 01 Apr 2006

Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express, if it's Outlook click on View/Folder List. Sometimes if you have restored in the past you can finish up with two sets of folders and your emails can go to the one you can't see.Sorry I don't know about OE.

VoG II 17:06 01 Apr 2006

View, Layout, tick Folder List in Outlook Express.

jim63 19:26 01 Apr 2006

I use Tiscali broadband and use their e-mail

VoG II 19:29 01 Apr 2006

Do you mean webmail (i.e. you access e-mail using your browser)?

jim63 21:47 01 Apr 2006

Hello VOG, Yes to both your questions.
I am still a novice when it comes to pc's

jim63 21:51 01 Apr 2006

hello VOG. Have just looked in Outlook express and all my e-mail are there. I don't understand as I never use Outlook. How do I get them back into my Tiscali box again

VoG II 21:58 01 Apr 2006

In my opinion you would be better off using Outlook Express to deal with your e-mails. Outlook Express is included with all versions of Windows. You should find it on the Start Menu. To set it up on Tiscali click here

By using OE you will have a copy of the e-mails on your own PC. If you like, you can keep a copy on the Tiscali server by doing the following in Outlook Express.n Go to Tools, Accounts, click the account name, Properties, Advanced tab, tick Leave a copy of merssages on server.

VoG II 21:59 01 Apr 2006

Crossed posts but see my last sentence.

palinka 22:00 01 Apr 2006

jim63, I can't see the advantage of using webmail , in your case tiscali webmail, on your own pc at home (which is where i imagine you are reading your emails). But I can see disadvantages, a major one being cost - unless you are on broadband.

Once the emails have been downloaded into OE (Outlook Express) you can't put them back into webmail - as far as I know. And I can't see why you would want to. Now that they are in OE you can read them without going on line, and write replies without going on line (until the point at which you click send/receive). You can also write a reply but not send it until later; or half-write a reply and save it to finish later - all this without going on-line. This seems to me rpefereable to using webmail all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?