e mail set up problems

paul 11:21 20 Dec 2006

Hi - I have had a major problem on my computer and have had to reinstall most things.....running XP home edition and IE7.......can not set up outlook.......when i setup a new account and try to test settings it is telling me that the test account settings is cancelled and i get the re crosses to indicate errors. If I try to send and receive on the newly set up account i get an unknown error message (0x800700E).......I know the settings are correct as I have double checked them with my lap top settings .Also - and this may be conmnected -when I try to start up outlook express it will not open and i get a message saying MSOE DLL can not be found ....I dont care whether i use outlook or outlook express but cant work out this problem - advice please....

rawprawn 11:23 20 Dec 2006

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD

paul 12:09 20 Dec 2006

Thnks rawprawn....I have run the command as u suggested and after scanning it closed without any messages - I do not have an XP CD the machine came without one but does have a recovery section on the D drive....

brundle 12:20 20 Dec 2006

Start menu/run, Add/Remove Programs, click Windows Components, check Outlook Express - if it is ticked untick it, reboot, back to the same screen and tick to re-install it. If it is not ticked in the first place, tick to install.

Diodorus Siculus 12:23 20 Dec 2006

As you are not concerned about which mail program, can I suggest you give thunderbird a try:

click here

paul 12:46 20 Dec 2006

have done what brundle kindly suggested - unfortunately the problem continues

paul 12:58 20 Dec 2006

have just installed IE7 - think this may be the problem - can someone remind me how to go back to IE6 please

brundle 13:01 20 Dec 2006

Add Remove Programs, IE7 should be listed as `Windows Internet Explorer 7`.

brundle 13:06 20 Dec 2006

If it fixes the problem, I would also recommend Thunderbird as your email client; more secure and powerful than OE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?