E-Mail Received - Could this be a virus?

Bapou 00:01 07 Jan 2003
  Bapou 00:01 07 Jan 2003

Came on line a short while ago,in Inbox is a message: From- Paul- 'Latest Virus- Do not Open if Received'.
Being in doubt, rightly or wrongly, I have ran a full scan by AVG and it's come up 'No virus found'.
I'm sitting here wondering who this Paul could be,I know a definite two with computers but I doubt they would include me on their list to alert.
Is there a way to discover the identity of sender without opening the message? If not what
is my next move please? I've never experienced this before.

1st RHA 00:05 07 Jan 2003

select properties and scroll down, it is probably ok but if you don,t want it just delete, do not reply or choose to remove from mailing list it just confirms you exist.

VoG™ 00:05 07 Jan 2003

Its probably the jdbgmgr virus HOAX. If you have up to date AVG you can open it no probs.

northamuk 00:05 07 Jan 2003

If you are on OE, right click on the message and choose Properties.

Giggle n' Bits 00:11 07 Jan 2003

properties, then select the Details Tab you will see everything about the path its come from.

Persolally I would check your virus software is upto date will subscription and updates scan if you have check this as you did say you have done a scan just delete the file away and monitor your email's carefully for dodgy emials.

If you recieve more strange unwanted mails then if of offending content you can either call police and report and also send mail to the other persons ISP and also contact yours.

The the best way would be to cancel ISP account and make new account with new Email after a full Format of HDD if you are that advanced.

Steer clear of doubtfull sites and chat rooms.

Finally who's ISP are you with. AOL ?.

northamuk 00:18 07 Jan 2003

full Format of HDD if you are that advanced.

Bit drastic innit?

BRYNIT 00:18 07 Jan 2003

If you don't know who its from just del.

Bapou 00:25 07 Jan 2003

Thank you everyone for the speedy response, my apologies also,it turned out to be a genuine warning from one of the Paul's I mentioned.

Considering I've never had an e-mail from this lad before,didn't realise he had my address anyway,I was concerned. The warning was about [email protected] attachment.

That panic is over,however when I right clicked to check Properties, the message opened.So how do I prevent this happening in the future? Just leave it alone completely?

Very grateful to you all.

Bapou 00:32 07 Jan 2003

Appreciate your advice but, no, I'm no where near that far advanced. I probably pressed the panic button a bit too quick.

For the record my computer experience dates back
to March of 2002. Hell of a long way to go yet!

My ISP is BTOpenworld.

Filch 13:43 07 Jan 2003

You can use MailWasher and read your messages before you download them to your computer. It's free and it works great. click here

It will do a lot more, such as bounce messages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone