E-Mail problems using a 3G Datacard.

1936 16:20 20 Mar 2006

I have just bought an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop as I want to be able to access my E-Mails remotely using a 3G Datacard while at Blue Anchor Bay Somerset Post Code TA24 6JT.

The specification is as follows:
AMD Sempron 3000+
15” TFT Display
512 MB
40 GB HD
DVDRW
The 3G Datacard is shown as running at 57.6 Kbps
The Broadband on my desktop in Steventon Post Code OX13 6AL is running at 1.1 Mbps

Obviously one needs to keep a check on how many MBs one uses on a 3G Data Card Tarrif and I know that I have to switch off the automatic upgrade downloads. I know how to check the size of incoming E-Mails before I open them so no problem there. However, sometimes I want to connect up with a forum such as this.

Could anyone tell me how to work out what the size of such a download is or what size opening a web page?

I had no problem remotely accessing my BT Yahoo Mail on the laptop using “Web Mail" but can not work out how to remotely access my Outlook Express.

Am I right in assuming that one can not access E-Mail in Outlook Express remotely?

The O2 3G Data Card runs with either a Blue light which is High or a Green light is slow, very slow and it only shows Green at Blue Anchor Bay wjich has Standard coverage where I spend a lot of time and strangely Steventon which is supposed to be a High grade coverage where I am sitting now in front of my desktop.

Down loading and sending E-Mails is slow but not to bad. However, it is impossible to send a 1.2 MB Photograph. When I attempted to attach a photographic file of 1.2 MB to an out going E-Mail it got to more than 20 minutes going through the “Attach” process before I gave up.

Is this because of the slow speed of 57.6 Kbps and if so does that mean files of that size will be impossible to send and receive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?