E mail and other problems with Belkin Pre N Router

iandandav 12:50 15 Feb 2006

I have set up a network at home which works fine. Consisting of Virgin Broadband, Linksys modem, Belkin Pre N wireless router and two PCs running Win2k.

Problem 1
The problem is that I can no longer get or send e-mail using Outlook I get a POP3 server error cannot connect to mail server.

Problem 2
PC 1 (connected by ethernet to router) cannot see PC2 on network. PC2 can see PC1 but it cannot be accessed. Ive checked the obvious like file sharing. My firewall is Zone Alarm (free version) cant see anything in its setup/configaration for networks.

Problem 3
I have a cordless phone (BT Synergy 700)which no longer works when the router is used (works when router is disconnected) so is probably due to interference by the signals from the router on the phones base station. Anyone have a solution for this? Ive tried moving the units around but the effect is house wide. Would altering the channels on the route work?

Ian

keewaa 14:40 15 Feb 2006

First thing I'll say is that adsl with a seperate modem and a seperate router seems to cause alot of problems, combined adsl modem routers seem to have less problems.

Altering the channels should solve your phone problems; 1,6,11 are the furthest from eachother and best to try.

Until you sort this out, disable all software firewalls - that may even fix your problem and then it's just a matter of making sure the zone settings on ZA are at medium.

iandandav 17:14 15 Feb 2006

Changing to chanel 1 fixed the interference of the cordless phone. But still have problems 1 and 2. ZoneAlarn is set to medium for trusted zones and high for internet.

Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?