e-mail identity theft?

dillonone 18:37 14 Aug 2006

Hi, Am really concerned. I received an e-mail asking me to verify my e-mail address from a well known server, saying I had created an account with them (WHICH I HAD NOT), and to click on the verification details - Obviously, I did not do this and followed a link at the bottom which said 'if you did not create an account, please click here to delete your address - someone recently tried to create an account with this address'

I suppose I am worried someone is using my e-mail address and name fraudulently and wanted to check how to go about safeguarding myself from such things and what I can do to find out this is not the case?

I have e-mailed the server in question - but they will not respond..

Thanks

FelixTCat 18:51 14 Aug 2006

dillonone,

Are you sure that the "well known server" was genuine. Spammers gain real email addresses by sending mails like that to random email addresses. If they receive an answer, that proves that the email address is live and is added to spammers' databases.

You should never, ever reply by clicking a link on the email you are sent; if you want to reply, you should always go to the site yourself and find a "Contact us" link or email abuse@ which often works.

In the case you quote, if it was genuine, a simple failure to reply would have cancelled the application.

Regards,

Felix

dillonone 18:59 14 Aug 2006

thanks Felix for your prompt reply - I will take your advice in future & hope that no damage has been done. D

FelixTCat 19:16 14 Aug 2006

dillonone,

No probs. At worst, you might get an increase in spam at some time in the future, but whether you'll actually notice the difference......

Best wishes,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone