E-mail Client?

morddwyd 08:14 06 Jan 2011

Simple and most basic question to most of you, but it means nothing to me.

I am trying (for the first time, I've never needed to do it before) to synch my smartphone to my pc.

However, I get the error message "There is no e-mail client. Please install an e-mail programme".

I have Yahoo and Google e-mail accounts and I'm running Win 7 64.

What do I need to do please?

jack O'lantern 09:04 06 Jan 2011

Windows outlook Express
Windows Outlook
Mozilla Thunderbird
Edura
The Mac version - the name escapes me
This is a puzzlement because when I linked my iTouch by wireless to my PC I simply then went to Web and connected to my Web mail accounts
So your smart phone wants to look at what E-mails are downloading into your computer vis the E-mail client program

Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird
A cost free 'playaround'

morddwyd 08:24 07 Jan 2011

Thanks.

I'll give it a whirl later in.

morddwyd 07:19 09 Jan 2011

Well, tried Thunderbird, without success. Still can't synch.

Phone is an O2 Xda Zest, and I've also treied a couple of individual Dell Axim PDAs.

I've used three different computers, so there's obviously something about the way I have set things up which is causing the problem.

Anybody any ideas?

morddwyd 06:39 10 Jan 2011

I'm using Mobile Device Centre, but it simply won't sync.

It connects, and I can move files, but it will not sync anything but "Favourites"

Everything else is greyed out.

morddwyd 16:26 10 Jan 2011

Thanks.

I've installed Outlook and am still trying a workaround.

Unfortunately I'm running Office 2000 so my copy of Outlook is ten years old! I'm reluctant to buy a new copy of Office just to get my PIM synched!

On the other hand I'm also reluctant to try and transfer (I'm changing phones) about ten years worth of data one entry at a time!

morddwyd 17:46 12 Jan 2011

Still no joy.

Now have Outlook fully installed, and can synch e-mail and files, but contacts, tasks and calendar are still greyed out.

Now absolutely stuck.

Woolwell 18:28 12 Jan 2011

Contrary to what ßeta said there are problems with Outlook 2000 working on Windows 7 and Vista.

Woolwell 18:47 12 Jan 2011

As far I can tell WMDC only works correctly with Outlook 2003 and later. Google Calendar Sync also requires 2003 and later.

morddwyd 19:52 12 Jan 2011

Thanks Woolwell.

I'll try doing a trawl for a freebie, otherwise it looks as though I'll be doing a manual transfer over the next few months!

Woolwell 21:58 12 Jan 2011

Is this to transfer data from an old phone ready for a new one? If so a sim card transfer may be a better option. Or put the old sim card in the new phone and load from that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?