E Mail

craig42 10:56 08 Feb 2012

When system is shut down emails are not being transferred from server to Outlook 2010. Can anyone give me any advice,

birdface 11:04 08 Feb 2012

Would you not need internet connection for that. Have you tried pressing F5 to see if any messages are waiting to be downloaded.

craig42 11:19 08 Feb 2012

Buteman

Thanks for your quick reply

I m sure that I was able to have all my emails on outlook when I opened up. Will try F5 next time I open up system.

birdface 11:33 08 Feb 2012

You may be right it has been a while since I used Outlook Express not (Outlook)and there used to be e-mails waiting for me to open.

Maybe there is a connection on it that you have to tick for it to run at start up.

I used to use Incredimail and it used to show when an e-mail had arrived.I use Windows Live Mail now and you have to open that to see if there are any new messages.

Maybe someone that uses outlook will be able to give you the information that you need.

northumbria61 15:35 09 Feb 2012

If you are using Windows Live Mail here (using the 2011 version) I have some bad news I'm afraid.

The only option you have to be notified of receiving an email is by sound notification; as far as I can see there are no ways of giving you a pop-up showing you that you have new mail. While this option is available within Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail doesn't seem to give you the visual notification.

Sound notification can be turned on by clicking File, Options, Mail then selecting General, and ticking the "Play sound when new messages arrive" box, and confirming.

If you are accessing emails through the Windows Live website, I believe the only notification is the new message count next to the inbox.

wee eddie 16:09 09 Feb 2012

I am not entirely sure what you are saying here?

Are you saying that: While the PC is Turned Off, emails are not being downloaded to Outlook.

or: While I am off line, emails are not being downloaded to Outlook.

Once you are on-line and open Outlook, it will "shake hands" with the Server, that it is set to collect email from, and any Mail on that Server will be downloaded to your PC. After that, Outlook will again "shake hands" with that Server at regular intervals (that interval is variable and can be set by yourself. The default is, I think, every 5 minutes)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?