E

patsy10 15:11 31 Mar 2007

Hi, I got a pc world E machine 170. I just wasted money getting an embedded virus removed but the 'technician' could still not get my restore disc to run. The startup is on disc 2 and the main file is a .GHS file. My pc will not run it for some reason, even though it has in the past. He then wrongly advised me to get nortons 'go back' program which did nothing. How can I get this ghs file opened to run so I can completely reinstall windows? Any ideas anyone and please phrase it in idiot speak.
Regards Pat

patsy10 15:13 31 Mar 2007

Hi, I got a pc world E machine 170. I just wasted money getting an embedded virus removed but the 'technician' could still not get my restore disc to run. The startup is on disc 2 and the main file is a .GHS file. My pc will not run it for some reason, even though it has in the past. He then wrongly advised me to get nortons 'go back' program which did nothing. How can I get this ghs file opened to run so I can completely reinstall windows? Any ideas anyone and please phrase it in idiot speak.
Regards Pat

bretsky 18:49 31 Mar 2007

From what I understand, you have your PC up & running but you would like to restore your PC to an earlier time using your restore discs and you cannot open/read these discs???

.GHS files are Norton "Ghost" files NOT "Go Back"

click here

click here

Please forgive me if this is incorrect, perhaps somebody else can help who is familiar with E machines.

bretsky ;0)

Forum Editor 19:03 31 Mar 2007

is to go into the BIOS and set your CD drive as the first boot device - are you comfortable with doing that?

If you are, do it, and then start your computer with the restore disk in the drive. The machine should boot into the restore routine, and ask you if you want to restore the factory settings.

If you're not happy with the BIOS part of this, post back, and one of us will tell you what to do.

Forum Editor 08:49 01 Apr 2007

but I'm afraid I can't resolve individual problems in that way. Please post any responses here, in your thread, so that others can offer help and/or advice as well.

To save time, you've told me that you want to reset the machine to its factory configuration, rather than restore it via the Windows restore facility, and you've also confirmed that setting the CD drive as first boot device makes no difference, your machine still won't boot into the reset routine from the manufacturers' restore disk.

skidzy 09:19 01 Apr 2007

I also received an email from Pasty10 and a related thread click here

Patsy if you are confused how to reply to the thread,just write your message in the below response box and click POST RESPONSE this will then be added to the thread and everyone will know the suggestions that you have been advised upon.

Did you try my advice in trying the F11 approach ?

patsy10 10:04 01 Apr 2007

Yes I did all that thanks but no joy my pc won't read the GHS file on the disc on startup. The techy who removed the virus was no cop either as even though windows works ok as it did before it seems to lock up on programs now.

lotvic 23:20 01 Apr 2007

maybe this will help

You can purchase new recovery cd's from click here
"This hard drive recovery 2x CD set will re-install Windows XP Home Edition onto emachines Model 170 computers & includes eMachines 170 drivers."
They cost £22.20

You could email them before you order (via their green envelope link) to check if it is what you need - complete reinstall as your GHS file won't work.

This is their home page click here

woodchip 23:35 01 Apr 2007

If you have not had the computer long, Have you considered taking it back to PCworld. Some of the lads a very helpful if you do not get aggressive

patsy10 00:19 02 Apr 2007

Thanks Lotvic, those discs might be the ones I allready have, I will check it out all the same.
And thanks woodchip, I considered going back to PC world but the machine is well out of guarantee and there were big signs up saying what they charged for looking at pcs when I went in recently to get a new DVD burner drive and some more RAM for it. I will think about a new drive as they are only £50 odd, £20 less than I allready spent!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?