Dying hard drive?

Simpav 18:46 20 Oct 2009

My PC, which is 5 years old is making certain sounds and I don't know if I should be worried. I have backed my stuff up just in case.

When starting up and accessing programs there is a distinct crackling sound.

When sitting idling there is a constant ticking sound, this happens at the same time as the light flashes on the front of the PC

On a couple of occasions there has been a grinding noise.

A guy has been out on the back of an extended warranty and has said that these are normal sounds to expect from a PC of this age. Is he right or is this just a way of getting out of replacing the disk?

He has also recommended I get some more RAM. I have had a look on the Crucial site and they can't make a complete match and my model isn't listed. CPU-Z says that I have DDR PC3200(200Mhz), there is currenty 512MB installed and i have 3 empty slots.

I am thinking of getting another 1GB but am not sure of which brand to get. I want to stay away from the cheap end but also don't want to pay too much.

Don't really know much about these things so any help would be appreciated.

woodchip 19:24 20 Oct 2009

Have you first Tried Check Disc? Double Click My Computer Right Click C:\ Properties\Tools\Check Disc put a tick in the box to fix errors and do a full scan. You may need to restart your computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 20 Oct 2009

click here
Play the sounds if any sound like your machine backup the data immediately and get yourself a new drive they are very cheap nowadays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?