DWIN.exe ?

Chas49 13:14 13 Jun 2008

I have just closed an Excel 2003 spreadsheet and the firewall came up with a query to the effect that DWIN.EXE was trying to access Excel. Not knowing what this was and having never seen it before, I blocked it. I did a search of the net and saw one site which said that this file was dangerous.

I have done a search on the computer itself using Vista's search engine and it found nothing - curious for a program seeking access - or is it?

I have run Spyware Terminator and that found nothing.

Anyone have any knowledge of it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 13 Jun 2008

Do you have Norton on your PC?

Think dwin.exe is part of the Norton system.

skidzy 14:05 13 Jun 2008

DWIN.EXE can be disguised as Malware

Part of Malware group - Downloader Drev A (from Prevx database)

Download,update, and run Superantispyware in safemode click here

Chances are you have installed or uninstalled a program (possibly Norton as above) and something is either corrupt or missing.

What antivirus are you currently using ?
Remember only one antivirus program to one computer ! do not install more than one,this will cause conflicts.

Chas49 14:30 13 Jun 2008

Thanks to both.

No, I've never had Norton on this computer, Anti virus is Commodo. Am about to download SuperAntiSpyware and will post result afterwards.

Chas49 15:34 13 Jun 2008

OK. I have downloaded, updated and run SuperAnitspyware and, apart from a few cookies, and one unidentified(but protected) item in the registry there was nothing.

I have run my Excel program again but the DWIN.EXE incident did not appear again. I shall set Commodo to permanently block it - if it appears again in the future.

Thanks again .

Chas49 21:12 13 Jun 2008

Obviously not my day!

Excel started behaving unusually so \i rebooted the computer -it wouldn't let me login!

Fortunately, I had done an incremenntal image a couple of days ago - so - a restore is being carried out at this moment.

Thank heavens for my old computer!

Chas49 23:24 13 Jun 2008

All OK again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone