DVI (?) Monitor Connection

Furkin 11:45 20 Oct 2006

Hi,
it looks like i'll be getting a 19" tft monitor to replace my ailing CRT.
I have an ACER Aspire T120.
The monitors that I am looking at (cheap) seem to have DVI conectors.
I'm sure that my Acer dosn't have a DVI socket,,, so is it just a matter of getting an adaptor,,, or do I need a new card ?
Is there anything else that I ought to know please ?
thanks all

De Marcus™ 11:46 20 Oct 2006

Just an adaptor will do if your monitor turns up without one.

BigMoFoT 11:46 20 Oct 2006

All you'll need is a d-sub (standard monitor connection) to a DVI adapter.

Furkin 11:59 20 Oct 2006

Thanks both,,,, I'll try to get the retailer to drop one in ????
Any idea who are doing cheap tft's at the moment ?
I've done the usual searches & it seems like £125 is about the cheapest (I saw the HannG HU196D 19" but I just don't like the look of it !)
thanks again

De Marcus™ 12:01 20 Oct 2006
  De Marcus™ 12:02 20 Oct 2006

No need for adaptor with above model.

Furkin 13:02 20 Oct 2006

De Marcus - thanks for that. It does look nice enough,,,, not sure if I want Widescreen tho' !
I 'think' that the only use I would have is s.sheet stuff in Excel which I only use infrequently. I don't watch TV/Movies etc on it.
Never used w.screen on a computer,,,, & I assume that you lose a bit of height for the sake of width,, to get the 19" (or am I talking b..... ?)
I did note the VGA interface tho - in my favour.
I might have a better look at w.screen in the High Street before I make my mind up.
Thanks again for your help

De Marcus™ 19:25 20 Oct 2006

Widescreen's are great for certain aspects of computing as you describe. It's best to take a walk down the highstreet and take a look as you suggest.

Furkin 14:29 21 Oct 2006

My CRT (ACER) is away at the moment being fixed. I have planted the seed that if it isn't worth repairing, that I'd 'consider' a tft replacement (!!)
I was hoping to have heard from them by now,,,, but as soon as I do, I'll know which way to jump.

If they don't replace it, i'll use it on Puter number 2, as this 'stand-in' monitor (Daewoo) has gone very soft through non use (I assume) & i'll get a 4-3 ratio tft for now.

Thanks for your advice
Furkin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone