DVI-I better then VGA

iqs 17:54 24 Feb 2007

Hi,I have just fitted a new graphics card which has DVI and VGA outputs.Currently my LCD monitor is connected via VGA.It has both inputs.

Will I notice an improvement if I connect Pc and LCD by DVI ?.Cheers,IQS

crosstrainer 17:56 24 Feb 2007

If your monitor has a DVI input I would use it, image quality and response is much better, can be a bit fiddly to set up but worth it in the end. I plug one of my desktops into a DVI enabled 38 inch Lcd Tv the results (particularly in games) are so good it's scary!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:02 24 Feb 2007

I have used both on my monitor and I cannot tell any difference. I have eyes like the proverbial rat although I do not play games.

G

iqs 20:47 24 Feb 2007

thank you both for your comments.
crosstrainer,can you please explain'can be a bit fiddly to set up'.cheers

Totally-braindead 22:54 24 Feb 2007

If you've got it by all means try it but I've seen the same monitor connected via DVI and VGA and I can't tell the difference between them.
It is meant to be better but I haven't been able to see it. Both looked good for me.

wossie 23:35 24 Feb 2007

I have tried my monitor with analogue and digital and the digital is much sharper. Those people should get their eyes tested pronto. It is like taking the plastic off the screen.

Quiet Life 23:47 24 Feb 2007

Like you iqs I would be interested to know what crosstrainer means about being fiddly to set up.
As far as DVI it is pure digital and does not need any adjustment. VGA being analogue does need set up and if done properly does not in my experience show any noticeable difference from DVI.
If you have DVI then use it.

crosstrainer 09:48 25 Feb 2007

When i set my nvidia kit up for the Lcd TV, I had to make several attempts before the card(s) would recognise the TV (Hitachi) after it was finally discovered...I had to play around with the resoloutions, as the stated max for both graphics card, and TV were wrong in the manual...might be an sli issue, but once set up works great.

JayDay 10:50 25 Feb 2007

When I setup my monitor with a DVI cable it was easy. Just plug the cable in and away you go.

I must admit I didn't find as big a difference as I expected. It does look a bit sharper.

PA28 11:37 25 Feb 2007

There shouldn't be a problem with DVI - just plug and go. I find quality is marginally better, but only that. All screen adjustments are done through your graphics card driver software rather than the monitor's controls when on DVI - personally I find that easier.

Eric10 12:06 25 Feb 2007

Whether you will see any difference or not could depend on the quality of your graphics card and monitor. To drive the monitor through the VGA sockets the PC's digital output has to be converted to an analogue signal. Since an LCD monitor is also a digital device then this analogue signal has to be converted back to digital to drive it. By using the DVI sockets you are connecting two digital devices together making conversions of the signal unneccesary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?