DVi > HDMI problem

Mester 22:28 02 Oct 2009

Ok, so I've got this old PC sitting around and thought I'd turn it into a media type box to sit under the telly. Telly is a Toshiba 32cv505db. The Pc has a DVI output on a MSI (ati)9250 grfx card.

I got a DVI to HDMI cable and plugged it all in...perfect, it worked first time. Windows booted and up came the desktop. Without douching anything else I got up and left the room. When I came back the screen had gone blank.

Now if I reboot the PC all I get is an initial "Win Fast" screen before the screen blanks again. I dont even get POST.

I've plugged the PC into my monitor via DVI cable and it works fine, but I can't get it to work with the TV using the DVI > HDMi cable other than the "Win FAst" screen. PC is booting OK just no video.

Any ideas?

TIA, Tony

ArrGee 23:08 02 Oct 2009

Just a guess, but have you configured the display settings to the TV as primary?

OTT_Buzzard 00:49 03 Oct 2009

Sounds more like an issue with your TV to me. Does it work properly from a different HDMI source?

Mester 08:02 03 Oct 2009

TV appears fine. When I plug my HDMI equipped laptop into the same TV socket it works OK.

My conclusion so far is that either the DVI-HDMI cable is faulty or there is just some sort of compatability issue between the TV HDMI and computer DVI sockets (Same language but a differant dialect maybe).

I'll get a VGA cable later and see if I can get it working with that. As the TV and computer both have these it would make sense to try I suppose.

TFYI, Tony

Mester 08:02 03 Oct 2009

TV appears fine. When I plug my HDMI equipped laptop into the same TV socket it works OK.

My conclusion so far is that either the DVI-HDMI cable is faulty or there is just some sort of compatability issue between the TV HDMI and computer DVI sockets (Same language but a differant dialect maybe).

I'll get a VGA cable later and see if I can get it working with that. As the TV and computer both have these it would make sense to try I suppose.

TFYI, Tony

Mester 18:55 04 Oct 2009

I gave up in the end and used a VGA cable instead. Works well this way after setting the resolution etc.

woodchip 18:59 04 Oct 2009

Go to Display Settings in Control Panel, make sure its set to Dual Display

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017