DVI and Analogue usage?

anskyber 22:09 14 Jan 2006

I currently run my PC with two screens which I find very useful. I propose to change my PC for a more up to date model which has a DVI output and and analogue output from the video card. I intend to use the primary screen from the DVI output of the PC (for better picture quality) and the secondary screen from the analogue output. A local PC supplier says that I cannot do this since the digital signal and the analogue cannot be used in tandem. Any thoughts on how I can use 2 screens in DVI and analogue?

Skyver 22:15 14 Jan 2006

What video card do you have?
click here

Skyver 22:18 14 Jan 2006

Sorry my mistake, what is the spec of the machine you want to upgrade to?

anskyber 22:22 14 Jan 2006

None at the moment because I shall be upgrading my PC, I amm thinking of a Dell 9150 but I am not sure which video card they use. Checking it is the 256MB ATI Radeon X600 or upgrade to 256MB nVidea GeForce 6800

anskyber 22:23 14 Jan 2006

Broadly speaking this spec click here

Skyver 22:30 14 Jan 2006

I don't have personal experience of this, but from what I've read some graphics cards will do DVI/VGA simultaneously and some won't - all I could suggest is get a user manual for the cards in question and check the specs, or call Dell before you purchase.

Skyver 22:31 14 Jan 2006

Or keep `bumping` your post until someone more knowledgable on this forum can enlighten you :)

anskyber 22:34 14 Jan 2006

Thanks Skyver Ill do just that.

007al 22:43 14 Jan 2006

A card with two DVI outputs will connect to both screens as long as the card is dual output.For the analogue screen there is usually a converter from Digital to Analogue supplied with the card

rupie 23:05 14 Jan 2006

I have a radion X800 graphics card and I run 2 displays of it at trhe same time. it has both a vga and a dvi socket. One display is a crt and 1 is an lcd. both have vga only connectors. The card came with a dvi-vga adaptor and whan this is connected to the dvi socket averything works. I think you have to boot up with the vga first or the card only sees a dvi signal but you will have to experement. the card may choose a primary output and as duel display is not set at install 1 output may not work until activated.

anskyber 23:14 14 Jan 2006

Thanks rupie. I was hoping to run DVI and analogue but to teo different screens ie asking the video card to run DVI and analogue at the same time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?