DVD's freeze player !

curlylad 22:22 12 Jan 2006

Sometimes when I try to play DVD's in my DVD ROM drive my PC freezes.
Can anyone help ?

Win XP Pro

SG Atlantis® 22:25 12 Jan 2006

does everyone running xp pro have identical computers?

A bit more info on what happens and the system spec would be good.

What player/s are you using?

curlylad 23:24 12 Jan 2006

Sorry I took a while to get back I was just checking a few things out.

OK spec - XP Pro , AMD Athlon 2079MHz 2800+ , nVIDIA nForce 2 IGP , 480 MB DDR SDRAM, MSI MS-6777 MOBO.

DVD - ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X Max.

I ran the system file checker and all was OK.However when I just clicked on the drive in device manager and clicked the DVD Region tab , under 'Current Region' it said 'Not selected' , so I selected UK (Region 2) and when I clicked OK it said 'Unable to update region setting.Please make sure the drive contains a region 2 media and you have administration privilege.'

I am the administrator so whats happening ?

curlylad 23:54 12 Jan 2006

I just tried logging on in safe mode as administrator but I get the same message as above.

If a region is not selected in the region setting could this be the problem ?

I also had to recently re-install windows , does this mean I have to install a decoder ? If so where can I get one from , what type do I need , are they free ?

ashdav 02:56 13 Jan 2006

try this.click here If you've got any DVD software installed (WinDVD,PowerDVD,etc) remove it first.

curlylad 17:45 13 Jan 2006

Thanks ashdav , I will give this a go.

However I still have nero 6 installed for burning , ripping etc , do I have to remove nero 6 for this to work ?

Totally-braindead 17:50 13 Jan 2006

When you say "sometimes" does this mean that sometimes there is no problem? If so what DVD player software are you using. WinDVD or PowerDVD?

curlylad 12:38 14 Jan 2006

I am not using either of those , the only DVD related software I have at the moment are WMP and Nero 6.Are you saying that unless I do as ashdev suggests and use WMP with the codecs then I have to use either WinDVD or PowerDVD ?

I did originally have PowerDVD installed on this PC but because of various reasons I had to format and re-install Windows , the only problem with that was that the PowerDVD software was installed when I purchased the PC and I now cannot ask the company to reinstall as it is a TIME PC and they have gone bust !

pj123 14:50 14 Jan 2006

You say you have a "DVD - ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X Max" and then later that you have "nero 6 installed for burning , ripping etc."

You can't burn to a DVD-ROM or do you have another DVD burner?

Either way, for a free DVD/CD Audio/Visual player/Recorder try JetAudio from click here.

Scroll down to the bottom and select Basic Download on the Jetaudio 6 version.

ashdav 16:09 14 Jan 2006

Leave Nero in. It will probably work better after you've installed following my link (scroll to the bottom. There's an update).
Don't use Nero to watch DVDs. It's a bit flaky. Especially if you've not got a lot of ram.

citadel 17:27 14 Jan 2006

I can recommend windvd 7 gold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017