DVD's + & -

Senile 13:34 29 May 2006

There are DVD+R; DVD-R; DVD+RW; DVD-RW.

What is the significance of the + & -?? What practical effects does the sign mean.

Diodorus Siculus 14:11 29 May 2006

DVD FAQ
click here

It's all there...

In short, there is little difference nowadays. They are different standards but most drives are multi burners which will use either type.

Diodorus Siculus 14:12 29 May 2006

Simpsons: Micro Site
click here

More straightforward...

Hi silly question,but are dual layered dvd recordable on one side or both sides of disc,also can you get dual layered cd to get extra record time

moore_mat 10:04 01 Jun 2006

Dual layered DVD's are accessed from the same side (i.e. you don't need to turn it over) - the laser just "refocuses" on each layer.
Yes, this will give you extra record time; but make sure your DVD Burner can cope with dual-layer recording

Regards

M@

Senile 12:35 01 Jun 2006

To record TV programmes; re-record VTR tapes; to view JPEG photo files, which system should I go for; '+' or '-'??

many thanks for answer

dms05 15:30 01 Jun 2006

Senile - either. DVD-R has a less robust file system so if you are looking at lots of jpeg pics then maybe DVD+R would be best. My DVD recorder is DVD+/-R and will also do Dual Layer. I can therefore use either type of blank. The price of blanks are much the same for + and - formats. Look at buying in bulk from an e-seller to get really good prices (ie 100 blanks for £25) click here for an example.

Senile 15:55 01 Jun 2006

Thanks for you help, 'dms05'.
The DVD recorder in my PC is both '+' & '-' and is multi layer. However, what I am looking for now is a recorder that slips under the TV set. In the Amazon site you so kindly provided, there is a 'Lite-On LVW-5115GHC' which might fill the bill.

Have you any wisdom to offer?? I am not familiar with 'Lite-on' products. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?