DVDs

sootey 15:22 17 Dec 2004

If I use a DVD R can I pause/stop it and return to it at a later time or is it a new disc and start again can anyone please advise?

sootey

howard60 18:01 17 Dec 2004

not got to dvd writers yet but I guess the same as cds R once write read many rw read and write

rawprawn 09:51 18 Dec 2004

Bump, I too would like to know the answer to this having just bought a DVD RW. I know that you can keep wrtting to a CD if you don't "Finish" it, but does the same practice apply to DVD.

rawprawn 09:52 18 Dec 2004

Bump, I too would like to know the answer to this having just bought a DVD RW. I know that you can keep wrtting to a CD if you don't "Finish" it, but does the same practice apply to DVD.

rawprawn 09:53 18 Dec 2004

Bumpety bump ???

SEASHANTY 10:34 18 Dec 2004

Dunno about the PC writer ones but using a DVD-R on a home DVD recorder such as the Panasonic once you hit the STOP button when recording the programme is finished and you can not record as a continuation. The disc isn't finished until you finalise it so you can then record again starting a new programme. You can continue doing this until the disc is full recording at speeds from XP to ELP (1 hour to 8 hours to fill the disc). Once the disc is full you can not record any more progs and the disc needs finalising to be able to play on a domestic DVD player. You can leave the DVD recorder on pause for quite a long time when recording a programme onto DVD e.g. for finding a different part on a VHS tape to record or even to replace the VHS tape by another one to carry on recording the same DVD section without pressing the STOP button. You can also do the same with DVD-RAM discs which are re-recordable over and over again.

rawprawn 10:40 18 Dec 2004

Thanks, I suspect that the same applies to PC's but I will await further confirmation.

SEASHANTY 10:45 18 Dec 2004

Further note on home DVD recorders. You can leave a
disc unfinished for as long as you like and return to it again later. I have several discs on the go at present with spare space for more recordings. I also mix quality settings on discs by using mainly SP and LP settings (you can do this on the same disc - until its capacity setting is reached).

BRYNIT 10:47 18 Dec 2004

You can create a multisession with a DVD R disk the same as a CD disk. With Nero when creating select Start multisession. When adding to a multisession you must select continue multisession this add to the first session.(Do not select start multisession as you will have problems seeing the first session). When you have finished the disk remember to close the disk.

rawprawn 11:32 18 Dec 2004

Thanks BRYNIT, that answers my question. I don't know about sootey, maybe he/she is still in bed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone