DVD+RW DVD & Nero's 'burning speed'

CurlyWhirly 17:27 30 Nov 2004

Hi. I have a query regarding the speed at which my DVD writer 'burns'.
It burns at 2.4x (3.324 mb/sec) which is the speed rating of my DVD+RW's, but when 'verifying the data on the disk AFTER burning' this speed goes up to 5x (6.912 mb/sec) which exceeds the speed rating of the DVD itself!
Is this normal?

The reason why I am asking is thatI have only recently treated myself to a DVD writer as they have come down in price quite a lot compared to what they used to be so this is all new to me!

Stuartli 17:31 30 Nov 2004

You are confusing burning speeds with read speeds - check the read speed of your rewriter.

A DVD-ROM drive, for instance, can usually read up to 16x.

CurlyWhirly 17:35 30 Nov 2004

Oh right. It seems odd then that my DVD only verifies at around the 5x speed as opposed to the x16 speed that you mention!
Resolved and thanks.

Stuartli 13:34 01 Dec 2004

The 16x is the maximum (in my drive's case) - it's equivalent to a far higher read speed for a CD so your 5x DVD read speed could be equivalent to, say, 24 or 32x read on a CD-ROM or rewriter.

CurlyWhirly 15:29 01 Dec 2004

Thanks. I have just been to the TDK website and discovered that my DVD Writer can read at a maximum speed of 12X and write DVD-RW's at a maximum speed of 4x.

So in the future I will look out for 4x DVD-RW's as the ones I am using now only allow a speed of 2.4x!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?