DVD+RW

mdshamilton 12:16 07 Oct 2003

I have a new PC with a DVD+RW in it. Are DVD+RW disks reliable? I currently do occassional backups onto CDR. Do I have to continue this practice or can I rely on DVD+RW disks for backups?

What experience do people have? Does anyone have a favourite backup application to do backups onto DVD?

http://amnesia-music.tk 12:51 07 Oct 2003

personally i prefer the dvd+r to -r as they seem a lot more reliable during the burning process and they also have a wider compatibility with set top dvd players etc they also work in the ps2 which is a rarity

take my advice and stick to dvd+ its a lot better than the minus format

Lozzy 14:20 07 Oct 2003

agreed and use Nero its the bees knees!!!! mind you so is easy CD Creator V6

mdshamilton 12:53 10 Oct 2003

So - the recommendation is still to use write once disks rather than the RW disks? Even on DVD?

Chegs ® 13:13 10 Oct 2003

I have ten RW DVD's,5 - and 5 + RW's.I haven't had any probs with them(whereas I bought a box of CD-RW's,which refused to stay formatted.Each time I put one in my CD-RW,Nero/EasyCD/XP's own burning software insisted the rw wasn't formatted,or simply crashed the puter on inserting)The probs people had with CD-RW appear to have "tarnished" DVD-RW reputation,but I still wouldn't put Backups of my OS onto ANY RW discs(as finding the DVD-RW is acting up when you need to restore the OS,can be heart-wrenching)

The Sack 15:10 10 Oct 2003

You dont format CD-RW unless you are packet writing and that isnt stable enough for back ups anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?