DVDROM & DVDRW mobo Connections

fredhead40 12:34 22 Feb 2006

I have an Asus A8N SLI Delux mobo and will be installing a SATA II hard drive so both IDE slots will be available.
Whats the best configeration of the DVD drives, should I connect them via a single cable with the DVD ROM as the master and the RW as the slave or use a single cable for each drive as I will have both IDE slots availble on the board and could install both as master using say the DVD ROm on IDE1 and the RW on IDE2. I know that IDE1 is normally for hard drives but would this set up be a faster options for copying etc. Any info would be good.
Thanks

fred

clayton 12:37 22 Feb 2006

I think you would still connect them to IDE 2 as IDE1 is for ATA100, but i could be wrong.

quack 12:46 22 Feb 2006

As you are not using any IDE connections for your HDD you can use either or both to connect your drives. I would suggest you use one IDE connection and set your drives to Master and Slave as you suggest.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:26 22 Feb 2006

If you want to copy (on the fly) from the ROM o the RW best way is RW as master on IDE1 and ROM as master on IDE2.

rmcqua 13:32 22 Feb 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s right! I use this arrangement (after experimenting)and it gives the best overall performance.

fredhead40 14:11 22 Feb 2006

Thanks for the quick responses. I have now ordered two 2 pluc Vantec cables and will connect the drives as above.

Thanks

fred

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?