DVDR Ripped.How Can I Restore The Film Quality?

Big L 266 23:18 02 Apr 2010

Hello.

Thanks to you kind folk I have been able to finally rip my 2003 dvdr which I've since imported into RealPlayer & Winamp and played.(I don't use Windows Media Player.)

The dvdr has 95 minutes of 8mm & 16mm reels of film some now 50 years old.Most have deteriorated to such a point that the black & white and colour films are washed out and images faded and jaded.

I would like to have a one-off go at restoring this washed out dvdr of old film but have no idea how to go about it.This dvdr is all I have from my past in which I am the only one still alive.Most of them feature my late Mum,Dad & grand-parents.

Can you recommend anything in the way of software - free or purchased - that I could use to try and restore as best as possible all 95 minutes of the dvdr? I no longer have the reels of film.

Somehow this has become very important to me.

Any help,suggestions,advice etc really would be most very welcomed.

Thank you in advance for any direction and help which is so greatly appreciated.

Big L 266

rdave13 23:27 02 Apr 2010

Are you saying that the images played on the 2003 DVD disc are faded?

Les28 08:06 03 Apr 2010

Are the images on the dvd washed out because the original reel film quality had deteriorated before transfering them to dvd and are we talking about a dvd video disk that plays on a dvd player, or a data disk that plays only on the pc, if it's a data disk do you know the file type of the movie?

Normal rule is that if the quality isn't there in the first place nothing can be done about that, I don't know whether there is any interpolative software that can approximate missing quality and guesstimate what the original film would look like and fill in missing detail, I'm sure it exists but not at the retail home user end of the market to my knowledge.

However just wondering whether you could import the dvd film into a video editing program and perhaps improve it and resave to a new dvd disk, can be a bit of a trade off sometimes, some aspects improve, other areas lose a bit of quality but maybe worth trying.

The video editing software I use and I think most modern video editing software has a range of options much the same as found in a still photo video editor, the obvious things like adjust brightness and contrast, colour balance, greyscale and sharpen effect perhaps on black and white sections of the film, levels, curves etc, in fact I sometimes have to use them when editing film shot in poor light that my camera hasn't been good enough to handle, so I brighten them up a bit.

Windows own Movie Maker has some effects, however can be choosy over the file type being input and may not accept input from your disk, maybe download a trial version of something like Arcsoft Showbiz DVD, 15 day trial

click here

My own Serif Movie Plus hasn't got a trial version to my knowledge, but there are plenty of others in addition to Arcsoft Showbiz, which is very user friendly but may not have all the effects and the same degree of control over the effects you may need and most have trial versions, things like Corel Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio.

wiz-king 08:13 03 Apr 2010

A few words of advice.
Take a copy or two and only ever work on them!
Keep notes of every setting that you alter, it is very easy to forget what you have done.

eedcam 09:35 03 Apr 2010

whichever editor you use it will need to re encode after editing which in itself may lessen th quality even more.At least stick with an Mpeg editor if you start converting to pander to another format the same applies.Might I suggest you start with just selecting a shortish section of the worst part of the film.You can do this with dvd shrink assuming its at last a proper dvd ie with video ts folder .Shrink is free and you just need to use the reauthor section and select the section to experiment with ,This you will save as Ts folder and ready for most editors.Should you choose this initial route I'll cover how to do it in shrink

Big L 266 10:14 03 Apr 2010

Hello.

1.rdave13...all the images have faded on the dvdr sadly.I suspect they were grim to start with due to age.

2.Les28.I think all the old reels were badly kept and edited back in the 70s onto what were originally tape spool reels.Many of the early frames were grim to start with. The disc itself is a Verbatim DVDR data storage disc and made in 2003.It has rarely been played and in mint condition. The file type was something called .BIN and wouldn't rip unless a codec was installed. I chose AVI as the codec to 'rip' it to RealPlayer & something else to WinAmp. I will have a look at the suite you mention but photography and movie-making are alien to me.

3.wiz-king & eedcam...I neither own a digital camera or digital video recorder and have no idea about anything visual.My main hobby is music.I would indeed never use a master to edit anything in music.The dvdr is 95 minutes and comprised over 30 reels of 3 minute reel-to-reel film (the latter which I don't have.)

Overall,it seems a daunting task.I will look at the movie editing software. Wish me luck if I try to edit.

Thank you to all of you for your valuable input though. You've all given me something to think about. These old images are valuable as I become older and more infirm with each passing year and I'm only 56.

Big L 266

eedcam 15:54 03 Apr 2010

Big L can you confirm you now have the DVD as a proper dvd which will Play on a standalone. If so then its not a major task to at least try and freshen it up a bit.If it is then would only take literally minutes to remove a section to experiment with using flick to extract.Once you have it then you might be pleasantly surprised at how it can be tweaked .I do Photos music and occasional video and particularly photos from way back are still restorable and it amazing at times how photos can spring back to life. I know exactly how you feel regarding old images being alas a lot longer in the tooth than your good self

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017