DVD+R & DVD-R

mikesman 14:12 22 Apr 2004

Wonder if anyone can help?

I am about to buy a Panasonic DVD-R Standalone Recorder. My question is this - If I record lets say the news onto a DVD-R disk from this machine and close the disk (I assume the recorder will have this facility), will the disk then be able to be played on my DVD+R Phillips drive in my PC?

pj123 14:19 22 Apr 2004

As it stands now possibly not but I have just read in the May issue of PC Answers that, and I quote

"Philips backs DVD-RW. Having put its money firmly behind the DVD+RW market, Philips has had a change of heart. From now on its drives will now support both DVD+RW and DVD-RW. This won't just be with new drives either. Philips will release a firmware update for the DVDRW824K so that it supports DVD-RW as well." My be worth giving Philips a ring.

SEASHANTY 16:00 22 Apr 2004

DVD-R and DVD+R are not interchangeable. Also DVD-R discs nweed to be finalised before they will play on
a domestic DVD player. Once you have finalised the disc - that's it. You have closed the disc for good.
DVD-R and DVD+R are "write once only discs". If you want to record the news on your Panasonic standalone
recorder then use a DVD-RAM disc - which you can record to over and over again. Up to 100,000 times.
These DVD-RAM discs are never finalised. You use them exactly as you would a VHS tape but on the Panasonic machines you can record to DVD-RAM and also have it playing back at the same time something you previously recorded. You should be able to use DVD-RAM discs in the PC DVD Multi-format recorders
such as the LG GSA4040B which takes both DVD-R and DVD+R and also DVD-RAM. Checkout the Panasonic recorders here click here
but do not purchase from them because they are cheaper at Techtronics, including modified Multi-region and free delivery by Omega Express. Click on the machine you are interested in for the
spec. click here

SEASHANTY 16:22 22 Apr 2004

Some info on DVD Record formats on this USA website
click here
. There is also more info on DVD formats at DVDRHELP click here

SEASHANTY 08:40 23 Apr 2004

Can you play ordinary commercial DVD films in your
Philips DVD+R writer?? If so then the Finalised DVD-R discs should also play in it because they will play in ordinary domestic DVD players. I haven't a DVD writer in this PC at the moment but the films I have recorded onto DVD-R on my Panasonic standalone
DMR-E60 DVD recorder, after being finalised, will play in any of my DVD players and also in the DVD-ROM drive I have fitted in the PC. You need a
software program to play them in the PC such as
Power DVD or Win DVD. Mine uses WIN DVD. I did not purchase this software - it came with the PC. Until
you FINALISE a DVD-R it will only play in the
Panasonic machine.

mikesman 08:35 27 Apr 2004

Thanks guys!

I actually bought a Philips - Intersteing re the possibility of firmware to enable both DVD+ & DVD-R.
I have got the working of it now off pat and closed recordings will play on any machine.
Once again - thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?