DVD+R disc won't play on PC

phuck 14:49 22 Jan 2006

I've just bought a new DVD recorder and have problems already. I've transfered a few old tapes to DVD using a DVD+R disc and playback works fine on my new player, but when I insert the disc to play on my PC it doesn't work. I double click on the drive in My Computer and the folder opens as empty, and when the auto-launch screen comes up it treats the disc as blank and asks if I want to burn media. Why is this and how can I fix it to play? Thanks.

Klof Ron 14:54 22 Jan 2006

Did you finalise the disk on your video recorder. This is required to allow DVD+R media to play on a PC with a software player. If there is still room on the disk to add more video at a later date, you should be able to un-finalise via the disc menu on your video recorder.

phuck 15:02 22 Jan 2006

To be honest I'm not sure if I did or not. I'm not very sure of what I'm doing and the instructions aren't much help. It just says "when you press stop, finalising will take 10 seconds on DVD R discs", and when I stopped it didn't notify me if I was finalising or not. Is this how they are normally finalised?

Klof Ron 15:11 22 Jan 2006

On my Hitachi model I have to go into the disc menu and select the "Finalise" option, have a look in the Disc Menu section on yours to see if you have an option to do it manually.

phuck 15:25 22 Jan 2006

I found the finalise option and it works fine now, thanks a lot for helping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017