DVD/CDROM drive can't read disks

bogs 09:37 23 Jul 2004

MY 16 bit dvd/cdrom drive can't read programme disks including Microsoft XP Home, though it will play music.In the registry HKEY_Current_User/auto setup/string Rez_SZ reads "please insert CDv1.OS Drivers in to CD-Rom"

If this will cure the problem, can anyone please tell me how to do it. I'm using XP 512 Ram PC 133

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:47 23 Jul 2004

In my computer seclect the CD drive right click and select properties.

Use the auto play tab -- then select in the box the type of files (first one is always music files)

Select the action to take for these files (open a folder to view) you may have take no action set for for data files and this is why you can not access them

bogs 14:28 23 Jul 2004

Tried that, but get the message "Windows cannot read from disk. Disk might be corrupted or using uncompatible format for Windows."

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 23 Jul 2004

Try a lens cleaner in the driver

Dorsai 18:01 23 Jul 2004

I have heard, and found to be true, that some DVD/CD combo drives can have trouble reading from copy protected disks. dunno why though.

I guess that this must be true, as many/most new pc's seem to ship with a both a dvd drive and a CD-RW, instead of a combo unit. I have a DVD/CD-RW drive. I took out my old 24x CD drive, and put in the DVD combo. I then found i could not access some cd's. I now have both the new DVD/CD-RW unit, and my old slow CD drive. IF a disk is not recognised in the new fast combo drive i shove it in the old CD unit. It never fails to read from standard CD-Rom disk, even onmes the combo drive will not recognise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?