dvd/cd player not working

liloldlady 08:37 29 Jul 2008

Hi, I have a fairly new laptop and have never been able to play a cd in it. Nothing happens at all when I put one in the drive, I have tried several, I can here it going around but then it stops. I have opened up "my computer" and it doesn't show the drive at all. then I looked in device manager aND THERE IS A LITTLE YELLOW QUESTIon mark next to the drive? Can ayone help please, in easy language as I am not very clever with computers....Thanks

Cuddles 10:49 29 Jul 2008

In device manager go to yellow question mark and
right click choose uninstall, which will remove the drive from the system, close device manager and restart the machine, the drive will reinstall itself, if this does not work repost.

liloldlady 12:12 29 Jul 2008

Hi, Thanks for your assistance, I have done what you said but now it tellsme that the device driver software was not successfully installed?...I looked again and I have the yellow question mark back again...Aything else I can do?

Cuddles 16:07 29 Jul 2008

Do you have a drivers disc that came with the laptop? if you do go back to device manager and right click on the yellow ? This time go to properties and update driver with the disc in the drive. What make is the laptop? and is it still under any manufacturers warranty?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 29 Jul 2008

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

Vista should be the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017