DVD/CD device not working after Win 7 upgrade

AlanPCA 19:55 29 Nov 2009

I bought an Acer 4810T in November with Vista installed.

I have just received and ran my "free" Acer Window 7 upgrade kit to upgrade from Vista. I inserted the Windows 7 DVD. All seemed to work well with a few restarts and Windows 7 is now installed.

I was prompted to insert the Acer Upgrade DVD again but it would not read.

I opened the Windows Device Manager to check and saw the DVD/CD device is not listed.

I noticed that when I opened the DVD drawer then the DVD/CD did appear in Device Manager list, but after less than a minute the list refreshed itself and the DVD/CD device disappeared from the list.

I ran Windows Troubleshoot but this found no problems. I checked the Acer FAQs but this just says uninstall the device and reboot.

I opened the DVD drawer again and quickly uninstalled the device from Device Manager list. This completed successfully and when I resterted the device was found and successfully installed. It was in the Device Manager list so I thought the problem was solved. Wrong. Same problem.

When I insert a DVD or CD then first I find the device cannot be accessed, then the device just disappears until I open the drawer again.

Any advice on how to fix this and get the device working please.

woodchip 20:10 29 Nov 2009

sounds like win7 bug have you had a look on google as there may be same problem on one of the forums or MS site. But it could be the Win7 CD driver will not work with your Drive. It could also be a Sata Drive and need the Sata Drivers loading for it

woodchip 20:12 29 Nov 2009

Did you have Dvd write software on before? if so try loading that Like Nero also loads drivers to get it recognized

woodchip 20:14 29 Nov 2009

To do the above copy Nero from CD to a USB stick on another computer and load from that

AlanPCA 20:32 29 Nov 2009

The is a brand new Acer machine bought with Vista. I created the recovery DVDs but installed nothing else whilst I waited for the Win 7 upgrade. I did the Win 7 compatibility check first with no problems found. The DVD reader worked fine with the Win 7 upgrade DVD.

I am confused by the way the device reappears in the Device Manager list when I open the drawer, then disappers again. Can a missing driver cause this?

Strawballs 21:57 29 Nov 2009

I've had this problem with the evaluation version the machine has 2 drives 1 is always there the other disapear's from time to time and when it does I go to control panel > admin tools > disc management > additional tools > rescan disc's

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 29 Nov 2009

Try removing upper and lower filters Works for XP and Vista be interested to know if it works for Windows 7 as well

Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

mimosa418 11:54 30 Nov 2009

Windows 7 has the inbuilt facility to hide the DVD drive in explorer unless it is i use. Go to Computer/Organise/Folder & Search Options/View and untick "Hide Emty Drives in the Computer Folder"

AlanPCA 19:41 01 Dec 2009

I posted a reply yesterday but it has not appeared. Here it is again.

Strawballs, I don't see disc management in Win 7 Admin Tools and no obvious alternative.

Fruit Bat, I did check the registry values but they did not seem to relate to the DVD drive so not sure they are the right ones for Win 7. Can you explain how you think this will fix it?

Mimosa418, this change made the drive visible with no disc in when I opened the drawer, but it then disappeared again at the same time it disappeared from Device Manager.

The problem is not with the invisible drive but the fact it doesn't work.

Drive still not working. I have recorded the problem with Acer but so far no reply.

AlanPCA 20:16 10 Dec 2009

It is now 12 days since I originally logged this problem on the Acer web site. I have no response so I must assume that there is no customer service and this site is a waste of time.

I called the Acer help line after a week, where I was told to set the laptop back to Vista factory settings which uninstalled Windows 7. This was another waste of time as all I got back to was the same problem when I loaded 7 again.

Another call to the help line and I was then told that this 4810T does not support Windows 7! This is despite all the upgrade advertising and the Acer site allowing me to order the Upgrade Kit.

It seems to be a problem with the 5810 Timeline as well.

Fortunately, I bought the laptop from John Lewis. They agree to take back the 4810T and exchange it for a 4810TZ with Windows 7 already installed (I just paid the difference in price).

My opinion of Acer and their Customer Service is now very low! But the laptop is great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?