DVD Writers

tes 10:34 25 Jul 2003

I have a dvd reader & a cd/wr fitted in my comp,can I also install a dvd writer? If so what do I set the links at the back to & what does CSLE mean

Forum Editor 13:25 25 Jul 2003

Can mean many things - what's the context? Is it something you've seen written on a drive specification?

Rather than have yet another drive, why don't you buy a DVD writer (which will also read DVDs) and then stick to the CD-RW drive - ditch the DVD read only drive.

The secondary IDE cable will then be free to take both drives, and you should set the new DVD writer to be the master on this cable - set the CD drive as the slave.

When you've finished, go into your BIOS and set the CD drive (the slave) as a boot device in the bootable drives list, so that your computer will boot from a CD if ever it's necessary.

tes 14:52 25 Jul 2003

Sorry CSLE should read CS.ie on the back of the drive you have ma sl & cs where the links go.
The DV writer does read DVD's but I thought that if I could keep the DVD reader as well I would be able to copy my video dvd's instead of creating more with pinnacle

Rayuk 18:17 25 Jul 2003

That is a jumper for cable select[no need to bother with it]
What speed does your dvd writer copy cds/cdrw at may be faster than the cdrw you have in,so you can remove the cdrw instead of the dvd

blackfazer 21:16 25 Jul 2003

You could alweays get a PCI IDE card and then you'll have the availability to install another 4 IDE components.

They only cost around £30 and work well.

y_not 05:03 26 Jul 2003

if you want to copy existing DVD's they are usually copied to a temp file on your HDD then the burning software will ask you to put a disk in to burn onto.

So the DVD burner will both read AND write the DVD without the need for a second DVD-ROM

tes 09:33 27 Jul 2003

Thanks all for your help I've decided to go along with the two drives for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017