DVD writer slow to detect media

Inky 13:23 23 Feb 2006

I recently installed the LG GSA-4167B DVD writer from the PCA top 10.

It takes between 2 and 3 minutes to recognise that it has a CD or DVD but works fine from then on.

During the delay it prevents my other DVD drive from working, and hangs "My Computer" if I try to click on its icon.

It appears correctly in Device manager and the BIOS. I have also tried uninstalling IDE channel 2 which it is connected to.

The drive was a straight replacement for an existing Pioneer unit (set to Master) and is on the same cable as the Sony DVD drive (which I presume is set to slave as it worked fine with the Pioneer).

The Sony DVD writer seems to work OK unless there is media in the LD DVD writer.

Is it a faulty drive, or am I missing a trick?

I'm running XP with 2 hard drives on the Primary cable so am only using 4 IDE connections.

TonyM 13:51 23 Feb 2006

I had a similar problem with an LG DVD writer drive ...it was OK for a while , then started to take ages to recognise media - then shortly after that wouldn't recognise anything at all.....returned it to supplier as faulty and it was replaced immediately - no problems since

Inky 13:53 23 Feb 2006

Thanks TonyM

I suspected it might be. I made arrangements to return it to Aria PC but can't print the label they sent which is in .asp format so thought I'd use the time delay to see if it was me!

Inky 13:16 30 Mar 2006

In case this gets picked up in someone elses search, the writer was indeed faulty.

Also, by changing the .asp file ending to .pdf I was able to print the label from Acrobat Reaser.

Inky 19:37 11 Sep 2006

This has all turned into quite a saga.

The replacement DVD Writer displayed exactly the same problem, but having recently installed it in a friends PC it works perfectly. I had read of some motherboard conflicts (I have a Medion PC) so put it down to that.

Today I bought a Sony DW-G120A DVD rewriter and it faults exactly the same as the LG.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, please? Thanks in anticipation.

Joe R 19:44 11 Sep 2006

Inky,

are you using the same ide cable to connect the drives.?

If so trying another cable may bring you some fortune.

If this does not solve the problem however, the fault may lie in the mobo, and the ide connector.

Joe R 19:47 11 Sep 2006

Inky,

also another thing to try is, go into my computer, right click on the dvd-rw drive, select properties-recording, and ensure "enable cd recording on this drive" is ticked.

Inky 19:54 11 Sep 2006

Thanks for your suggestions.

The computer came with a Pioneer DVD rewriter which works fine (albeit much slower) so I think the cable must be ok.

I've had a look in Properties and recording is enabled. It's driving me mad!

Joe R 20:06 11 Sep 2006

Inky,

can you unplug the Pioneer, and use this cable to connect the new drive.?

Inky 20:10 11 Sep 2006

This is what I have already done. The Sony rewriter is a straight replacement for the Pioneer as it is faster and burns DVD RAM.

Inky 18:08 18 May 2007

Having reverted to the original drives with no problem, my DVD rewriter has stopped working. Given that 2 DVD RAM drives caused the delay problems (but worked in a friends PC) I decided to stick to a conventional DVD rewritewr (no DVD RAM). I bought 2 NEC AD-5170 18X +/-RW drives but still get the 2 minutes delay recognising media.

The BIOS reports both fine, I can see them in My Computer, although Device Manager shows one as Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A and the other as CD-ROM Drive.

Is this a clue to my problem, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?