DVD writer problems

DeeW 14:02 04 Dec 2007

My NEC DVD rewriter has run into problems. When I load up XP The computer sees the drive and it will replay DVDs. When I insert a DVD to write to I get drive inaccessible and the computer then sees it as a CD writer!! Any ideas?

xania 14:21 04 Dec 2007

I am currently experienceing the same problem with a brand new (and a previous older) DVD re-writer. I assume that you've installed SP2, and herein lies the problem. Appearently, there are some problems of incompatibility between SP2, DVD+R and Nero. You may find some free burning software that will solve the problem.

click here

for some interesting thoughts

SANTOS7 14:39 04 Dec 2007

I would uninstall the device and reinstall letting your O/S assign new generic drivers for it, if that does not work maybe update firmware from manufacturers website...

billbod 18:59 04 Dec 2007

Have you set one drive to master and the other to slave?
click here
maybe this will be of use

DeeW 10:18 05 Dec 2007

Thanks all

I have 2 optical drives fitted and eveen though they have worked happily together for 3 years, I found there seemed to be a conflict as the DVD worked when the CD was unplugged. I followed santos7 advice, uninstalled the DVD, re-installed it and let XP sort it out. Everything working ok now.

ray0943 17:42 25 Feb 2008

HI EVERY TIME I BURN A DVD IT ONLY BURNS ABOUT 10 MINUTES OFF THE FILM WHICH IS EXCELLENT PITURE THEN I GET A FAILED MESSAGE AND DISC COME OUT DONT KNOW WHY ITS HAPPENEING I BURNED A FILM ON NERO TODAY AND IT WAS FINE AND NOW IT WONT WORK IV TRIED 5 DIFFERENT FILMS EVEN ONE THAT I KNOW BURNED WELL LAST WEEK AS DID ONE FOR MY SON ANY IDEAS PLEASE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?