DVD writer problem, or is it them media

xania 15:38 23 Feb 2010

My DVD writer will no longer read or write DVD+R, although it will still happily read and write to DVD+RW.

Not usre whether its the drive or the media - certainly until reecently no problem

My +R media is TDK from a 50 cake, and my +RW is Packard Bell individual jewel boxed.

What is the best make of DVD+R to use for recording videos, please.

Pineman100 18:03 23 Feb 2010

I think you need to clarify your first sentence - it apparently contradicts itself.

I find it hard to believe that TDK or Packard Bell media would be consistently faulty. You should find any respectable brand-named media to be pretty reliable.

GaT7 18:11 23 Feb 2010

I just checked the type of blank DVD media I have, & they all seem to be DVD-R. But if I come across any DVD+R discs (that aren't TDK as well) I can post them over for you to test with. In the meantime, try getting a few off a neighbour or friend perhaps.

Pineman100, I think sometimes drives can be 'fussy' with certain media, even if the latter is of very good quality or next to perfect. G

eedcam 18:34 23 Feb 2010

Verbatim is generally reliable I have used them for some 4 years and probably as many 100 discs .The brand name on the Label with some means nowt. EG I have Maxell which are made by Ritek and Verbatim which are by Mitsubishi

Pineman100 14:03 24 Feb 2010

"Pineman100, I think sometimes drives can be 'fussy' with certain media, even if the latter is of very good quality or next to perfect. G"

Thanks for that. I have to say I've never had any problems with good quality media in any optical drive. Maybe I've just been lucky (in which case I'm off to buy a lottery ticket!)

xania 17:05 24 Feb 2010

Crossbow7 - I think you've hit the nail on the head. Tried with Traxdata x8 +R no problems so can only assume its my old X16 discs that are the problem.

I have also heard some good reports about Verbatim so I might give them a go, or perhaps stick to Traxdata now that I know this works.

Just a thought though, do you think that the speed of the disk might have something to do with it, or miught it be that my cake of DVD's is old after 2 years?

Thanks to all for input.

GaT7 17:31 24 Feb 2010

Yes, I suppose that's another thing you could try with the TDK ones - lower the writing speed in your burning software & see how it goes. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 24 Feb 2010

Power Calibration
There are two common causes for power calibration errors.
Low Quality Media
At the start of each burn the drive will burn to a small section the the disc to adjust the laser power for the media being used. Low quality media is inconsistent and will frequently give hit or miss results during the power calibration. AN32, CMC and Moser Baer are common low quality media.
Keep in mind that many of the brands of media aren't actually made by the company selling them. To find out who actually manufactured the media you can use DVD Identifier.
click here
Some of the best makes of media to try are Ritek G04/G05, Verbatim Metal AZO, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden.
The only recourse for power calibration errors with low quality media is to update the firmware for your drive and hope it works. Here's a link to the best firmware page to be found:
click here
If you've never flashed a drive before I highly suggest checking out the forums there and read up on the process before attemting anything.
Your Burner Is Dying
This one is self-explanatory.
If you're using quality media, your firmware is up to date and you're still recieving power calibration errors then your old drive is dying or your new drive is most likely defective.

If problem in Nero then:
1 on desktop click start
2 select control panel
3 click on administrative tools
4 click on services
5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
8 make sure you click APPLY
you should notice that Nero starts alot faster aswell.

xania 10:24 25 Feb 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thank you very much for your detailed response - I will take a look at all this in due course and act accordingly. However, it does seem that the problem is resolved if I use better media, so that's what I propose to do. Incidentally I dropped Nero in favour of Roxio some time ago, but the problem is that even Windows explorer cannot see the discs so the problem is not down to any specific software.

xania 11:54 25 Feb 2010

LOL. Just tried those troublesome DVDs on my laptop, having first installed Roxio for the purpose - no trouble at all getting it to write and read the DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache