DVD Writer Problem

SonnyB 10:05 06 Jun 2007

I have an Advent laptop with a dvd writer that has worked fine up until now. It plays dvd's without problem but when I try to burn a disc it does not see anything in the drive.
Does anyone know why this would happen. I have only had the machine since January so it is still under guarantee, but I would welcome any suggestions please.
Thanks,

xania 10:35 06 Jun 2007

Is this the first time you have tried writing a DVD? Do you get any specific error message? What OS are you using? There is a known problem with some DVD devices, DVD+R and Windows XP SP2.

SonnyB 14:04 06 Jun 2007

Thanks for your response. i have used the writer many times. The error message says there is nothing in the drive. I am using vista. In the past I have used +R discs but now I am using -R, though I am sure it has worked on some, but now it just does not see them, though it plays dvd's fine.

xania 14:08 07 Jun 2007

Strangely enough I am having the same problems in XP Pro SP2, but in this case, its never worked. Has the problem arisen since installing Vista? Have you tried dual booting in SP2? I suspect that some of the drivers may not be fully compliant with upgraded OS's. I am doing my own research on my problem at present. Once I find out more, I'll let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?