DVD Writer not reading CDs

jonmac 06:11 06 Sep 2004

I fitted a new DVD writer but when I insert CD of (photos only) and click on the drive in either Photoshop or Explorer the highlighting just jumps back to whatever was last highlighted. One of the diks was read, once, but when I moved away from it then returned it wouldn't read.

Is this a drive fault or something to do with sessions not completed or finalised?

Diodorus Siculus 08:24 06 Sep 2004

Will it read any sort of CD? If it reads only DVDs then it is likely that the CD laser is damaged somehow...

jonmac 09:05 06 Sep 2004

It reads commercally produced CDs e.g. software disks or a Katie Melua CD with introductory video (nice!) but not two CDs of photos received from friends or any of my CD back-up disks (which were probably not finalised) I suspect that's the problem so I'm about to refit my old CD writer and do a test.

jonmac 13:38 06 Sep 2004

Surprise! once I had installed the old CD Writer the DVD began to work as it should and anow reads previously recorded CDs.
Thanks for your comments Diodorus Siculus.

Stuartli 14:17 06 Sep 2004

I use/read multisession CD-Rs containing pix and data files which have yet to be finalised without any difficulty with my Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?