DVD writer firmware

jimmer409® 19:40 22 Sep 2005

Just got a new LG4163b. How essential is it to update the firmware, mine has a102, latest is a105, but the LG web site says if you don't do it right you can trash the unit. any views on this appreciated.

stalion 19:47 22 Sep 2005

you do not normally have to update the firmware unless you are having problems as it says you can definately trash your drive if you do not do it righr

fitcher 19:55 22 Sep 2005

did not know one needed firmware for a dvd writer ..

jack 20:08 22 Sep 2005

If it works for you dont fix it
Having said that various amendments are being made all the time and as Stalion said if you do have a problem a firmware up date is a possibility
but only then.

Chegs ® 01:02 23 Sep 2005

Some DVD-RW's occasionally have trouble with newer dies,the maker releases firmware updates to enable the drive to recognise different DVD disc dies.That said,my Pioneer A106 was having trouble recognising any disc,I tried every single firmware I could find,(1.06/1.07/1.08,etc)but of these assorted firmwares,one improved its recognition of my DVD-RW discs,but ruined its ability to "see" plain CD's.Another improved its abilities with these CD's,but destroyed its DVD abilities.The drive was dying,I removed it and used it in a Linux PC,where it worked fine for a few more weeks,then it expired totally,so I bought another DVD-RW drive(the Pioneer cost me £100+ and its replacement cost £40 a year or so later)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?