DVD writer faulty

bruno 17:20 03 Jul 2007

My Dvd writer will not recognise new blank discs.I have tried four different makes and the same thing happens.In My Computer the presence of a disc is ignored and if I try to Open or Explore,it comes up D:\ not accessible.Incorrect Function.
I went out and bought a new writer but the fault remains.The dialogue box which normally opens when a disc is inserted is also missing.It will play music discs, and discs I have recorded,but that is all.Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Diemmess 17:31 03 Jul 2007

A plodding idea since it seems you have narrowed it down to software, assuming that this is a recent fault and that once you were able to handle DVD disks.

If you have a dedicated DVD program like later versions of Nero, uninstall, reboot and then re-install it.

uesquebeathus 17:33 03 Jul 2007

this is often caused by changing burner software Roxio to Nero or backwards for example
Method 1/ try this way,
you have to open regedit and change this key
then click start, then enter regedit

first back up the entire registry.

then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.

If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.

Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.

In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.

Restart Windows.
Method 2/ goto

click here

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

Usage: Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

bruno 18:29 03 Jul 2007

Thank you both for your replies.I will try your solutions.The fault is on CDs,I have not tried DVDs yet.But I have not used it for ages,and what you say about Roxio rings a bell.I used Roxio for years and when I got my new PC about a year ago it came with Nero so I used that.I then found that I could not convert something to MP3 using it,so I reinstalled Roxio, which caused all sorts of problems.I un-installed that and had not noticed any problems since then,but I did not do any recording,so perhaps I will work along those lines.I will let you know how I get on.

bruno 21:26 03 Jul 2007

uesquebeathus.
I have tried both your suggested remedies, but unfortunately,neither worked.I will now have a go at Diemess's suggestion.

bruno 10:39 05 Jul 2007

That did not work either.

Diversion 16:10 05 Jul 2007

Are the DVD's + or - format? as the standard writers normally just recognise +, I have a dual layer writer that does + and -.

bruno 19:21 05 Jul 2007

Mine is a dual layer one and the ones I am having trouble with is a cd-r. I have tried an installation repair but that has thrown up further problems.I will be in touch later when I can get it running more reliably.

postie24 19:30 05 Jul 2007

Have you checked in the drives properties that the enable CD recording on this drive is ticked

HCOOH 19:38 05 Jul 2007

Could try autoplay repair from
click here

bruno 16:22 06 Jul 2007

Thank you all for your help.I got on to Fuji in the end and they offered me the registry fix,which I had already tried.Then he said it was a known XP fault and suggested a Repair or reinstalling XP.I tried the repair and that did not work,so I finished up starting from scratch,as I had considered this as my PC was starting to slow up.All is working well now and I have got rid of a long standing fault on Outlook Express.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?