dvd writer drive problems

hermione_uk2002 16:50 24 Apr 2006

I have had no problems with my dvd writer drive until recently when all of a sudden I can no longer use it properly. It will not burn at all - to dvd or CD, it doesn;t play disks automatically anymore and it's quite difficult to jump start it to read anything that's on a disk (although it does open files). Is this a software or hardware issue? I have tried system restore to no avail and a virus scan etc. COuld this be the work of sony rootkit? Or do I need to send the machine in for repair.

Totally-braindead 17:43 24 Apr 2006

Is it a new drive? The reason I ask is you mention sending it in for repair. Repair, unless its under warranty is not really a viable option as a brand new drive costs about £35 and it would cost more in someones time to fix it.
I'm not really up on the Sony rootkit, I have heard of it but have no idea if it can cause this. It could be hardware or it could be software. Initially I would attempt to delete and reinstall your burning software. If there is a second PC available you could remove it and try it on that, that at least would confirm whether its hardware or software.

skidzy 22:45 24 Apr 2006

Have you uninstalled any software recently ?

If so,it may well be you have removed a shared codec.

A couple of months ago i had a very similar problem,this solved my issue. click here

It will do you no harm to try the codec pack.

hermione_uk2002 09:48 25 Apr 2006

Thanks - will try this out - i have uninstalled software I think (or at least tried to 'clean' my computer of unused items!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?