dvd writer

wappa 19:48 12 Mar 2008

hi,one of my dvd writers has died so i replaced it with one that i had spare from old pc, unfortunately had no software to install with it so just tried my luck,,writer powers up and opens and shuts but put disc in and nothin happens,also goin into my computer it doesnt recognise any of the drives thus,no dvd drives dont seem to be recognised,,any suggestions please

rossgolf 19:52 12 Mar 2008

make, model? os?

Stuartli 19:52 12 Mar 2008

You don't need software with an optical drive - Windows automatically installs the basic CDROM driver when the new/replacement drive is installed and you reboot.

Any function of a rewriter is controlled by burning software such as Nero.

As you have two optical drives, one must be the Master and the other the Slave (a single drive is set as the Master), otherwise only one drive is recognised; check the jumper at the rear of each drive to ensure one is Master and the other the Slave.

DieSse 19:53 12 Mar 2008

Did you set the jumper (master/slave/cable select) to the same position as the one you took out?

You don't need software to get an optical drive basically working.

sidecar sid 20:13 12 Mar 2008

Try downloading and running the guided help.
click here

wappa 20:13 12 Mar 2008

yes,,exactly the way it was,,did it in the stage of removal then putting in
i do have nero,

wappa 20:44 12 Mar 2008

guys,managed to get one working by unplugging the other,when i have 2 plugged in it struggles to boot,when 1 is plugged in all seems fine,so im up n running,any further suggestions on the other drive,i have not tried the other drive on its own,,is that worth a try?

Stuartli 20:49 12 Mar 2008

That is exactly what happens if both drives are set as Master (or Slave).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?