DVD Writer

donmar 17:00 24 Jan 2006

Hello everyone

I have winxp sp2 and an external dvd writer.

The writer has suddenly decided to work once and then to stop working.
The drive is just not seen.The is no problem seen in the hard ware list and the drivers are up to date.

If I unplug the usb lead and plug it in again the drive will work again once.

The message is ‘please insert a disc into the drive f ‘

Does anyone know what is happening?

Don

Totally-braindead 18:27 24 Jan 2006

What is the make and model of the external hard drive? Did it come with software that you had to install or did windows xp just recognise it?

Totally-braindead 18:28 24 Jan 2006

Sorry meant to say what is the make and model of the external DVD writer

Biotech 18:32 24 Jan 2006

Can you try it in another USB socket if you have one, is it on a hub or in a dedicated socket?

Biotech 18:38 24 Jan 2006

There was a mysterious type of action in a thread the other week, basically you turn off the computer at the wall, do not unplug, then connect and disconnect the USB 6 or 7 times and then restart. It worked for the problem at that time but nobody knows why.

Totally-braindead 18:46 24 Jan 2006

Yeah Biotech I was involved in that, no one has given a satisfactory explanation as to why it worked, heres the link click here you can see the solution that anniesboy68 gave on page 2 and this was it "Try switching the computer off and at the wall. Then hold the start switch in for 30 seconds or more, and then re boot. Just try!!!!!"

Biotech 18:48 24 Jan 2006

Just goes to show how good my memory is.

Biotech 22:38 24 Jan 2006

Got mixed up with that sidewinder static thread.

donmar 19:04 25 Jan 2006

Hi everyone
The writer is a LITEON model SOHW-1673SX.It will work on all media except RAM andn will write to dual layer media.If I switch off and on again it will work again once.

Any ideas?
Don

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone