DVD is write protected and cannot be changed

Prancer 15:05 15 Apr 2008

I'm trying to erase some old backup CDs and DVDs (in XP) but with every one I am told it is write-protected. The data varies from docs to sheets to True Image or Geniesoft but the response is always the same. I have tried removing the write-protection but on trying to apply this get the error message "An error occurred applying attributes to the file. Access is denied" Several previous entries in this forum seem not to have resolved the problem for others. Help please.

eedcam 18:31 15 Apr 2008

Think you may need a firmware update for your drive that often sorts out the write protect
ou could try imgburn and see what that throws upon the error log it will also check for firmware updates Tools>drive>firmware updates
click here

jack 20:01 15 Apr 2008

CD or DVD R cannot remove files to gain space.
Only the RW variety will rewrite.
Then only with suitable software.
With the CDR or DVDR you can overwrite old data so that it does not show - but it is not deleted and no space is gained.
So if you have an 800 Mb disk lets say and 300Mb is old Data then you can overwrite it so you then have a 500Mb disk and the old stuff will not be accessible.

Prancer 08:34 16 Apr 2008

Thank you for your comments. I should explain that I am trying to use a programme called Eraser, which I have used before, and the discs are all RW. Will try a firmware update and see if that works.

Prancer 16:26 18 Apr 2008

Still no joy. Any suggestions anyone?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 18 Apr 2008

When you burn to your RW disk are you using the "finish the burn" option thus closing all burning sessions for that disk and not leaving it open for more burning like a large floppy disk. Once the disk is finalized the next time you write to it it will ask you if you want to erase the existing data. You say yes and it erases it and rewrites it with new stuff. The default in windows and Nero is NOT to finalize but make it a multisession disk (like a large floppy disk) the option you might want is to make it a closed session disk or finalize.

Prancer 17:11 18 Apr 2008

Thank you Fruit Bat, the backups have been made either using Acronis True Image, Geniesoft Backup manager or just copying and pasting data. I cannot understand why I can't erase (not merely delete as it is personal stuff) the data.

john bunyan 19:04 18 Apr 2008

Prancer. Can you format the DVD or CD? I use Roxio and have had similar problems with DVD - RW discs, but in Roxio Easy media creator when you put a used DVD in the drive it gives you the option to format, which seems to work.

beeuuem 19:49 18 Apr 2008

As john bunyan suggests I have found that it is necessary to use third party software to erase the DVD-RW. I use WinOnCD and find that will erase the DVD, Nero and Roxio products will probably do the same thing.

Prancer 16:09 24 Apr 2008

Thanks guys but I still get the message that the disc is write protected. This happens with any disc I try to erase or format. In fact, the Format option is not on the usual file menu when I try to use it.

Ditch999 16:14 24 Apr 2008

You mentioned "drag and drop" Are you using the disks with packet burning software like In-CD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?