DVD won't play

carper 19:07 21 Sep 2006

A DVD which I have recently burned plays very well on my DVD player but when attempting to play on my daughters machine a screen message comes up "check Disc" and then ejects the disc. The disc is clean and unmarked. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance regards Carper

skidzy 19:29 21 Sep 2006

Does the drive play any other media disks cd/dvd's ?

skidzy 19:32 21 Sep 2006

It may be just a matter of the Media not compatible on your daughters machine.

Just a thought,are you talking a standalone dvd player.

rodriguez 19:35 21 Sep 2006

Is it a Region 2 PAL disc or has it been imported? A lot of DVD players are region locked, so they won't play discs that are outside the European region. Some DVD players are region free, which means it will play a disc from anywhere in the world. The most common imports are from America and these are Region 1 NTSC. If your disc says that on the back of it's case then that could be the problem.

skidzy 19:39 21 Sep 2006

Its a disc he has burnt,i may be corrected but does this not burn in region 2 unless the setting is changed.Whereas only 4 changes are allowed on any operating system.Like i say i may be corrected on this.

rodriguez 19:44 21 Sep 2006

It does burn in region 2 by default, but if it's been copied from a region 1 disc it could copy the region 1 information as well. I don't pay much attention to region codes as I unlocked all my DVD players to be region free. Another problem I just thought of could be with the format of the disc. If it's been burned in + format and the other machine will only read - then it won't play. I have to burn all mine on - discs as the DVD player downstairs won't accept + discs.

postie24 19:46 21 Sep 2006

does your daughters machine play - & + formats.check which disc you done the burning on and see if its compatible with the dvd player

skidzy 19:49 21 Sep 2006

I know the feeling:
"discs as the DVD player downstairs won't accept + discs."

Hence why i said the media may not be compatible,ive come across this problem quite often as im sure you have.

I have more success with the dvd-r than any other media.RW are a pain in the ****.

postie24 19:54 21 Sep 2006

yep rw are a pain.there is a program called css free it enables you to play any region discs on your comp.have you heard of it?

skidzy 19:59 21 Sep 2006

No Postie i havn't,as i do not have a lot to do with imported discs i dont think il need it thankyou.Very handy to know though.

Wonder if Carper is still there :-)))

postie24 20:02 21 Sep 2006

not sure if he is there.css free works well skidzy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?