DVD Video Editing

sil_ver 11:56 12 Oct 2004

I'm running Win2K, AMD XP2600+ cpu and NVidia 4200Ti graphics card. I want to edit some analogue home videos. I don't have a capture card and progs such as Ulead, MGI Photosuite, VideoWave and PowerDirector don't seem to allow for editing from a DVD player/recorder only from a capture device. I do have a DVD/VCR recorder and have recorded VHS to DVD Anyone suggest a prog that will do the job of adding headings, fade in/out etc and other tricks?

Octoz 13:29 12 Oct 2004

SILVER
Is your DVD recorder RAM or -R/+R?
You won't be able to edit files on a DVD, you will need to copy them to your HDD and then edit them and burn them onto a DVD. All of the editing suites that you mention allow for files to be edited from the HDD without a capture device. Capture devices are only required for recording into the Computer.

sil_ver 20:01 12 Oct 2004

Thanks for your reply.
My standalone recorder is DVD RAM and DVD -R/RW but I don't see a way of transferring it to my HDD without using Nero. The Suites I mentioned wont recognise nrg. extensions. Maybe I'm missing summat obvious. What I do is to record the video to a DVD -RW and finalise it so that my PC will recognise it then use Nero to create an image file and that's where it all stops.

sil_ver 11:04 13 Oct 2004

bump

jbaker65 11:14 13 Oct 2004

Surely, if you have the video on a DVD you can use any of the video editing progs. I use uLead video studio 7 and on the capture screen in the top right hand corner there is a file icon which can be double clicked to open a video from memory, hard disc or DVD. Have a good look at you editing prog.

Octoz 16:27 13 Oct 2004

Is it possible that in transferring your files they become read only?
You would have to check a file by right clicking it, selecting "properties" and changing from "read-only"
The other problem may be that the DVD recorder does not record it's data in a way that Nero can read it. Not likely but possible.

I follow this procedure:
Nero 6.3 software.

Select DVD tab in top rt hand corner of Nero display.
Select the icon representing photo/film
select Nero recode "import DVD or movies"
Browse to folder containing DVD files
Select
Burn.

Hope that this helsp.

sil_ver 21:03 13 Oct 2004

Thank you both for your replies. I'll see if I can sort it out now..........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?