DVD - Unrecognised Format

Sibbo 23:02 25 Aug 2006

My Son's PC suddenly decided to stop playing one of his favourite DVD's today. It came up with an error message which stated "unrecognised format" while using PowerDVD. Anyone know why? Thanks.

De Marcus™ 23:09 25 Aug 2006

Try reinstalling Power DVD

Sibbo 23:28 25 Aug 2006

I have mate.

De Marcus™ 23:30 25 Aug 2006

Any specific error message?

Sibbo 23:34 25 Aug 2006

Something along the lines of unrecognised disc format, but it was a DVD that he has played on it before a number of times

De Marcus™ 23:37 25 Aug 2006

Whilst it sounds like a typical damaged DVD disk problem, check the dvd decoder on the machine by going click here and double checking the codec.

Sibbo 23:42 25 Aug 2006

OK, I'll have to try it over the weekend. Thanks

Diversion 00:05 26 Aug 2006

Some of the latest releases on DVD now have an encryption code to prevent piracy, so that PC DVD ROMs and Rewriters won't recognise the format.

Sibbo 00:07 26 Aug 2006

He has played the DVD on his PC many times before.

Widows Son 00:14 26 Aug 2006

I personally use fairy liquid neat in small circles and then rinse under the tap. Obviously make sure its dry b4 sticking it back in

rodriguez 01:52 26 Aug 2006

Try copying the DVD files from the disc into a temporary folder on the desktop and see if any errors come up when you do this. Don't try and play the files from the hard drive though as most DVD's are copy protected and it won't play properly. But if you don't get any errors when copying the files then it's a software or codec problem as the disc can be read fine. Try playing it in something other than PowerDVD, my first choice would be Windows Media Player as PowerDVD installs the MPEG-2 codecs that Media Player needs anyway. Then try a few others that you can get hold of. Obviously if you get errors when trying to copy the files, then the disc is damaged. Optical discs don't wear out because of how they are made so it will be dirt or scratches that cause the read errors - if it was one of his favourites then it could have been out of the case a lot and be subject to damage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?